Leica R lens hood for Zuiko 35mm f2 lens

tim_taylor3

I have a question regarding the rectangle lens hoods for the 24mm, 35mm R lenses

that use e55 filters. Will the rectangle lens hood I have seen for this fit my

Olympus OM Zuiko 35mm f2 (55mm filter size)? Or could it be adapted?

I know the hood is the bayonet type of setup however, if the internal diameter

of the hood will fit over the extended lip of the 35mm f2 Zuiko (which takes a

55mm filter) then I planned to thread a thumb screw and use it tighten down the

hood in place. Feasible?

Anyone here try this? or something similar for a rectangle hood for a 35mm f2?

Tim, Leica lens hoods are normally held in place by a number of small, metal, spring-loaded tongues around the inside of the hood that slot into a groove around the lens barrel. They can be retracted by two small (normally chrome) buttons on the outside of the hood. It would be a pity to destroy that mechanism which is particularly well made - my only R hood was over 30 years old and felt as tight as my new M hoods. If the rectangular R hoods for the 35 and 28 lenses are like the equivalent M hoods, there is also likely to be a small metal or plastic tongue that mates into the lens to keep the hood in the correct alignment.

I can only suggest you take your lenses with you and try an R hood out at a camera shop.

Cheers,

David

Hi,

Tim..I tried to make this plain when you posted it in the Leica forum..here I go again.

Firstly..the Leica 24mm f2.8 does not take 55mm filters, it takes 60mm filters, so the rectangular hood is going to be nowhere near the right size.

Secondly, the Leica R 35mm & 28mm lenses that take rectangular hoods are very old lenses in the R system and both take 48mm filters...

...so like I said before I think you are stuck with the OM round hoods...

cheers Steve.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to be so late, but there's an answer for you. Put a 55mm filter, or, if you don't want a filter, a 55mm empty ring on this lens. Look on the auction site(s) for the Konica clamp-on shade for their old SLR 35mm f2.8. Its a bit harder to find than their 24/28 shade, but they're out there. A second possibility - Hama (in Germany, in spite of the Japanese-sounding name) makes a slip-on (with a tightening clamp) rectangular shade with its own cap! See my article on What I Use and Why" for a pic of the Konica shade on a Canon F-1 35 w 55mm filter threads, and a Hama shade on another Canon 35.