"New" IIIF RD ST

ksargent

Just ot follow up on my previous posts: my camera arrived today from KEH - and once again, I have to

marvel at the conservatism of their ratings. This IIIF was rated as "Excellent" and is beautiful. A few bright

spots on the finish and that is it. Amazingly, the bottom plate looks almost new. As I mentioned in an

earlier post, I went ahead and had KEH do a CLA before they sent it - if for no other reason than to give

them a second chance to find something wrong with it before shipping. At any rate, the shutter curtains

look to be in very good shape and the rangefinder is bright and easy to focus. I have a CV 35/2.5 Color

Skopar (with the viewfinder) on it at the moment, but I have my eye out for an Elmar 50mm as well. Now if

I can just manage to get a roll of film loaded, I'll be in business! I figure it will be tricky the first time, but

no real problem.

btw, the camera is a "real" IIIF RD ST rather than an upgraded one - assuming the serial number chart at

CameraQuest is correct. The S/N is 767xxx which dates it to 1955.

The camera looks, feels, and sounds great. After years of of using SLRs, I can't get enough of the "snik" of

the shutter. I guess I'm an addict-in-training. Fortunately for me, my lens requirements are modest - the

35 and the 50 should do me pretty well.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my previous questions. I'm sure I'll have more.

Ken

Congratulations, Ken! Every one of these that I read makes me lust more and more for a thread mount camera. I'm thinking of putting an Elmar 50/3.5 on my M3 just to get my feet wet. Enjoy that camera and post PICTURES!

Vic

The ONE THING that you must learn to do with your 111f is to always be sure the rewind know turns every time you advance the film. If you don't, then one of these days you will have a roll of film which is not going through the camera, and you are certain to miss that one special picture which will haunt you forever. (You will only realize there is a problem when you discover that you've got 42 frames on the counter -- eventually it happens to nearly all of us!) ;<)<P>Oh, yeah, and congrats!

Congrats on your new toy. I have a love affair with my IIIF RD ST too. I just picked a 50mm f3.5 Elmar and that thin is so compact. Its not too bad a lens for its age. I read somewhere that this lens helped made Leica. Very compact compared to my Summitar.

Welcome to the LTM Barnack club with your "previously owned" IIIf. Look under the accessories posts for "ABLON" which tells you how to trim and load film into your IIIf. The information above is accurate, however once I am confident that the film is properly loaded, I take up a bit of slack on the film by back winding a bit on the rewind knob. This prevents film jumping out of the sprocket holes on the early frames. As the frame spacing on your IIIf may give you more than 36 exposures, winding and tripping the shutter at least once and perhaps twice after loading the roll, and then setting the exposure indicator will prevent you from having your first shot partially exposed to outside light and ruining the frame. When coming to the end of the roll, be careful never to try to advance one more frame out of the roll if it gets tight. The internal damage caused by forcing an advance is very expensive to repair.

Congrats on your new aquisition, I nearly gave up photography when I couldnt load film into mine, then learnt the art of trimming the leader! make sure though, as has been said earlier, take up the tension and watch for the rewind knob turning as you advance the film, saves a bit of heartache. HAVE FUN with it.

Just a caution when you are shooting with your Barnack Leica -

After you rewind a roll of film, be VERY VERY sure that the little "r-a" selector lever is firmly in the "a" position. If it isn't, you can get erratic firing of the shutter with perhaps two or three good exposures and the rest of the roll blank. Not a big deal, just push the little lever all the way over.

The decent thing is not to ask me how I know this.

Enjoy your Barnack Leica,there has never been anything to match tham since.

Congrats: great camera. I love mine w/50 Elmar & Leitz 50mm finder. As for loading, I unscrew the lens; shoot the shutter open at "T," and slide the leader in with my finger. Works every tine & give me 38-39 shots per roll. Finger never touches the shutter. I also use the 25mm 1:4 VC Color Skopar with finder.

Congratulations, Stuart! Having over sixty years experience with and having owned one or another of most models since the III, I suppose I must admit to being some sort of a luddite since I seem to derive more pleasure from using my old III and ancient Elmar 50 than with with my more modern M's. I traded my ABLON for something more practical and learned to trim my leaders by eye. I also obtained several take-up spools and pre-attach to the leader and roll it back into the cassette then wrap the pair in aluminum foil. Reloding is a simple matter of unwrapping, extending the leader and dropping in (obviously checking the advance). With the old Elmar it fits in a pocket and it is a rare occasion when it doesn't accompany me. The M3 and M6 are certainly not neglected, but the Barnack just can't be beat for a constant companion!

What Dan said.

When I got my first III, I too thought that trimming the leader would be an ordeal. It didn't take me more than one try or two to get really comfortable with it. Now, I just count approximately 21 sprocket-holes from the lip of the roll to the end of the leader, and cut a diagonal starting from the middle of the end of the leader.

Heck, if you don't like to eyeball it, just measure it the first time and then, once you find it loads well, cut yourself a template out of plastic (although, seriously, you won't need it).

Just make sure that a) you don't leave any sharp corners in the film and that b) you don't cut a sprocket-hole in the middle. Doing either may cause the film to improperly load or some little bits of film to fall into the camera's mechanism. When I cut the film, I do one great "swoop" followed perhaps by two quick trims to any corners I may have left too sharp.

When you load, make sure the side of the leader is firmly on top, against the disk of the spool--if it's lower, it may not engage the sprockets, and that you don't pull out any more leader than you need.

In no time, you'll be able to load it standing, with the camera upside-down in the ever-ready case that hangs off your neck. The bottom plate can go in a shirt or jacket pocket.

Paul, thanks for the "T" trick on loading film. There are times when I've been caught at exposure 36 when one more frame was really needed. Wendell's comment is important, I know and don't ask. As the bodies age, the rewind lever moves very easily and can accidently be jarred from the full advance or rewind position. What the LTM newbies need to know about the ABLON is that 35MM film originally came in bulk and you had to load and trim your own Leica cassettes. The LTM baseplate lock not only secures the baseplate, but also opens and closes the Leica cassette.

Okay, it's time to put the ABLON issue to rest. I'm sure that most adults can use a pair of scissors to properly trim their film leaders. In fact, when you remove the bottom plate of a Barnack, you will find a detailed picture of what the finished product should look like. It also has measurements in inches/mm.

I didn't want to have to admit this, but the real reason I use the template is because all of my film leaders have to be exactly identical. If not, I cannot sleep at night.

I also love gadgets. Always have, always will.

For those of you who do not have any problems trimming your film leaders with scissors, great. Just remember one thing, "DO NOT RUN WITH SCISSORS!" :))

ABLON is sure getting a lot of press. The other reason to use it as a trimmer is when the film is properly held by ABLON, the locating peg holds the film so trimming does not cut through a sprocket hole. Using the measurements inside the LTM body, I've trimmed film, but always make sure that I don't rip or cut through a sprocket hole which can lead to chips in the body when winding.

• 4 months later...
Back in 1953, I visited the Leitz factory in Wetzler for a 3 day training sesson provided to American troops then......One trick I still carry and use on the old III's and similar models.....instead of using thumb and finger to wind, just place the side of your first finger alongside the knob and pull your hand back running it out to finger tip.....it works great especially when you are grabbing shots in a hurry.......mlm