tripod shop suggestion request in San Francisco

marco_landini

Hello Guys.

Here I'm asking for your kind suggestions.Next August I'll be in San

Francisco,spending my vacancies.Then,I'll move to the most important national

parks,around California,Arizona and Colorado.I'm sure there the landscapes are

amazing,so I will shoot slides with my rollei 6006.But I have not any good

tripod,and i'm thinking to purchase it in San Francisco.

Can you please give me suggestions about a good one,not too heavy but that

ensures no vibrations to rollei 6006?And I'd need also suggestions about a

good photo store in San Francisco downtown where I can buy it,'cause I'd like

to start shooting in S.F.

Thanks,have a nice day.

Marco.

Morley Bear ran a good shop, but he passed on now. Shop may still exist.

Carbon fiber pods are best. Exact model requires knowledge of the longest lens you will use and budget. An 80mm requires nothing special.

Get one with a head that locks easily and unlock easily. Tightening things with effort gets to be a pain really fast. I like ball heads for general photography.

Use the mirror lock up function on a `pod.

I would mail order something before leaving. Stock in store is spotty.

It takes a substantial tripod to get the best out a medium format camera - plus good technique (e.g., mirror up, cable release, etc). Unfortunately sturdy tripods tend to be heavy unless you go to carbon fiber, which is 2x-3x as expensive as aluminum.

I would suggest something at least as sturdy as a Gitzo Series 2 ($250) or Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 ($150). A comparable ball head will cost $300 to $400. If this is too much, consider getting a good 3-way head, such as a Bogen 3047, for about $100. Small Bogen geared heads are not much more expensive, and don't have handles to jab you as you walk.

The stock in most walk-in stores is spotty. Call ahead or get one by mail order (e.g., http://www.bhphotovideo.com).

Beat Images in Palo Alto (easily accessed by train from San Francisco) has excellent stock on a wide variety of tripods. It's not a "normal" consumer store, it's aimed at professionals, but anyone can go in. Just don't expect a bunch of nice display cases, it's very crowded with a huge amount of equipment.

They may still have stock of Linhof tripods, which are better in many ways, and more expensive, than Gitzo and Bogen/Manfrotto. I bought two from them and sold off the other tripods I have.

If you are in San Francisco, Calumet is the best store to check out, they have decent inventory and the usual brands.

For my 6008i I am using a Gitzo series 3. A series 2 may be sufficient. For landscape

photography with a heavy camera I prefer a geared head over any ball-head. I feel precise

positioning is more important than a quick swing. Off course that is a personal choice. I have

the Manfrotto 410. That is the smaller one, probably sold as Bogen at your place.

Could you let me know where "Beat Images" is? i live in the area and frequently visit Palo Alto to go to Keeble and Shuchat but i'm not familiar with Beat Images - and i couldn't uncover anything online about it either..

"Just don't expect a bunch of nice display cases, it's very crowded with a huge amount of equipment."

That's the BEST kind of shop! :D Near me I have one shop that's beautiful, nice slick cases with new gear in them artfully displayed all around, big & airy, and one shop that is packed with gear, basic old glass counters full of used gear, no drop ceiling. Guess which one I always go to?

Anyway, I'd also suggest getting your gear all lined up well in advance. Buying when there you're at the mercy of local prices & stock.

Adolph Gasser is still open for business at 181 2nd Street, between Mission and Howard streets (415) 495-3852. I used to go there years ago when I lived in the area, seems they've been around forever. (Ansel Adams used to go there earlier on.)

If I were you, I'd take my camera with me and mount it on a tripod, bump the tripod and see how long it takes to stop vibrating. It's amazing how differently various tripods respond to this little test.

If you're going to be walking a lot with your equipment, you might prefer something fairly light weight, but that doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune.

Lately I've noticed some Sunpak and Slik tripods that are pretty nice, very light, and reasonably priced and will probably do the job for you.

Of course, if you want a long-term durable pro tripod, spend more.

But do check it out with your camera first because even the "best" tripod might not be appropriate for your camera in terms of vibration.

Marco,

I've used a Bogen/Manfrotto 3040 since 1977. Last year I upgraded it with the extention legs, sand/snow pads, cloth gear holder and most importantly, the Bogen carring bag. With the case it checks easily as bagage when you fly. Plus you can pack other stuff in it including extra clothes.

How will your transport your tripod home?

I bought all the accessories for it from B&H NY. The new parts from 2006 fit my 1977 tripod. Works well with my Hasselblad gear. I'm happy with it!

I would get the Manfrotto stuff locally, use it and take it in a case with me. Enjoy your trip!