upgrade to Nikon D80

australian nature

Hi, I have 2 Nikkor AF lens with my 601AF and the F801s. One lens is a Nikkor

35-70 1:3.3-4.5 and the other Nikkor AF 75-240 1:3.5-5.6D. Both are compatible

with the D80. Which lens will be better for landscaping photography to purchase

with the D80 to complement the above mentioned lens?

Appreciate your comments.

Get the Sigma 10-20. You won't be able to get it with the camera as a kit, but if you're doing landscape work with a camera that has the crop-effect that the D80 has, you'll really need (and love) what an ultra-wide lens can do for you. If you get the kit 18-55 or 18-70 with the lens, you'll definitely use either of those a lot too... but you'll really appreciate being able to go wide, wide, wide for the grounds shots.

Thank you all. I was a bit worried about the quality of the lens supplied by Nikon on the kit, then again........is not a Canon 400.

The kit is a very good value. Are they better lens than the ones that I have or I just get the body and separate wide lens.

The D80 kit cost here the same that the D200 body. Which is the best option with my lens and a extra wide angle lens D80 kit or D200 body??

Cheers

I have done side-by-side tests of the kit lenses vs the 'pro' versions, and in good lighting or with flash, image quality is virtually identical.

I own both the d80 and d200 and have come to prefer to d80 over the d200. If the d200 has the features you need that are not found on the d80, get it. Picture quality between the d40/d80/d200 line of cameras is identical.

The d80 with the 18-135 is an exceptional value. You won't be disappointed with either camera!

Thanks, I was worried about the plastic body on the D80, after all your inputs, the D80 with a wide lens, my 75-240 will be ok . Keeping the 601 and 801 bodies to use with the other lens for very rough environment were the D80 can get damaged is the alternative if the D80 body is a bit weak.

I, too, decided on the D80 over the D200. For me, it's the lighter weight, better noise performance, and less $$ spent, compared to the D200, that won me over. I can do histograms and get pretty good with manual metering with my AI-S lenses, so no in-body metering with AI-S lenses is not a big drawback for me. So far, I'm very happy with it.