Sensor Problem?

kari douma

I shoot with 2 Fuji S3's. I did not notice this image had a problem. Then,

the last two weddings I did, I had 1 image each wedding with a totally black

frame. (Notice the black line in this image.) Does this mean my sensor is on

the way out? And, is there a way to tell which camera the problem images are

being taken with? I know it was the camera that had my 70-200 lens on, but the

last wedding I was switching between lenses so much that I don't know which

body it was on.<div>00Lxw0-37594384.thumb.jpg.4a4436cdd7209b4956b0b3e99b4b2d24.jpg</div>

I always format the card in my camera before I use it for EVERY job. I have had it before where I couldn't retrieve an image off a card, 3 different times on the same card. The image was there but when I tried to get it off the card, it said there was an error. I threw that card away. I could not tell you if this was the same card each time or not. But, I can tell you it was always with my 70 - 200 lens that I always have on the SAME camera body (until my wedding yesterday.) I tried to look at the file # on my black frame image from yesterday's camera. The problem is that I had to rename them on the cards, because both my cameras ended up at the same number. They even have the same folder number (997) which tells me I have shot about the same number of images on each camera (I think).

Thanks Chris,

I did look at the metadata, but I couldn't find the serial number. Where can I find that? I looked in CS2 bridge and I there is not a spot for the serial number to show in the Exif camera data. So, I clicked on the arrow on the top corner of the metadata box, and looked for the option of serial number. The serial number option is checked, but it still does not show up in my meta data area in bridge.

Kari,

If you check in your camera manual I'm sure you can create a new folder and maybe change the first letter on one of your camera's file numbers so you don't have the duplicate problem anymore.

This could be the cause of your problems.

Thanks Pete/Marlene. The black images were on the cards before I put them on the cumputer. I was chimping after the wedding, before I got them on my computer when I noticed it again. The above image with the black line, there were no duplicate file numbers. One camera "caught up" to the other in image numbers the last wedding I did. I don't have another wedding for 3 weeks, so I hope I can get this resolved before then.

It may be your card reader, CF card, or damaged contacts that are susceptible to changing environments. If your sensor was on the fritz, the chances are you would see more consistency with the damaged frames. I.e more regularly lost information.

Change your CF reader first, then track your CF cards (I never fill mine completely, btw). Note the environments when/where this happens too. It could be heat/moisture related.

Best, D.