polish the rails. I realize that the tolerances of the film rails to lens

mount distance are very critical and I don't want to ruin the camera by taking

off too much surface (although I seriously doubt 1500 grit is going to take

off that much). Any suggestions/warnings? Should I try the block sanding

idea? Send it to a pro to have the problem fixed? Or should I just live with

some mild scratching on the film near the sprocket holes? Any help is greatly

appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah, sounds like some sort of corrosion. Of course, that area of the film doesn't image. On the other hand, the corrosion has probably increased the film-to-flange distance.

Once they are done being polished, the camera can be re-collimated. Probably a small adjustment to the tilt of the mirror to equalize the flange-to-film and flange-to-focusing screen distance. (Well, that's how it's done on a Topcon Super D.) If that's not adjustable, the focusing screen would need re-shimming.

I wouldn`t use sandpaper either. I`ll try with any gel paint stripper on a Q-tip. You set on the rails, carefully, the gel, and in a few minutes you can take off the corrosion. Maybe you need to repeat a couple of times.

I did it this way when I changed the leather from an old Canon with a lot of corrosion in the body. It worked successfully

Most camera bodies are made from aluminium (alloy), and uncoated alloy is quite susceptible to corrosion when it gets humid.

If the scratches on the film are NOT inside the image frame, I would not bother too much. You might try to remove the corrosion spots with a glass fiber eraser, the thing (formerly) used by draftsmen to erase ink.

Update -

I tried the eraser - didn't do a whole lot for my camera. Was thinking about the car rubbing compound but was worried about getting a bunch of goop in the shutter. I ended up trying the sandpaper idea (only because I had some 1500 grit wet/dry paper laying around) - It worked really well (I lightly wetted the paper and only took a few light/even laps - just enough to knock off the corroded high spots without doing too much to the base metal). I Put a roll of film through the camera and developed/printed it - focus seems spot on and the negatives had significanly less scratching on them. BTW - the glass "sanding block" really helped as far as controlling how even the sanding strokes are. I tried it without the block first and quickly aborted the mission - there was just too much of a chance of totally rounding out the rails.