Hot Shoe Adapter

david_gray9

Hello Everyone!

My question is when it come to hot shoe adapters, will they work on any

digital camera? I have a Olympus E-300 camera that I bought to learn on.

After reading some information on this site I decide that I should purchase

a flash bracket.With the E-300 there is no PC syn connection.

That is why I am asking about hot shoe adapters and also because I want a

bracket that support the flash over the lens and not on the side of the lens.

I want to make sure that the adapter do not cause harm to my camera.

If not...how can I set up my camera with a flash bracket that support the

flash over the lens that only have a hot shoe connection?

Thanks

David

one way would be to use an optical slave trigger that would mount between the bracket and the flash. Wein makes one that is pretty good for under $50. a small piece of heavy stock paper taped to angle the camera's built-in flash upwards will trigger the slave. the only drawback is that if you are in a room with other people using flashes, yours will go off with theirs.

The Wein SafeSynch (About $50 USD)is actually a voltage regulator that fits on your hotshoe and allows you to safely use older high voltage electronic flash units on the modern low voltage digital cameras. Why you need to know this is that it also has a PC sync connector on it so you can use it with non hotshoe flash units. It's really handy with external flash units of all types.

One last thought. If you did a search for "flash trigger voltage" you will get a real education on all of this business. I have a Wein regulator for my studio strobe,but all the portable flashguns I have bought in the last 20 years fall within the tolerance range of the Olympus E cameras. (Look up the tolerated voltage and polarity of same in the E300 manual under non Oly flashes) if you have an oldie but goodie. If you are using grandpa's Heiland Strobonar, do consider the Wein in between---for peace of mind....