Better screens ?

subhash_tiwari

Just bought a Rollei 3.5 f, and a bit disappointed in the ease of focussing. It

apperently is an upgraded screen, with a grid and central horizontal

split-image, but no micrprism collar (which i usually like in my other cameras).

There is no name on it. Wonder if its a maxwell or Beattie or the original ?

(Don't know what these look like) The previous owner, I believe, had said it had

been upgraded.

The

Would it be worth it to try another screen ? Could the lens be misaligned ? Can

never quite get the image to "snap" into focus with this arrangement.

Subhash

The Maxwell I have has a micro prism collar however the original Rollei screen didn't. One

thing peope mention a lot is that you should check your mirror to see that it is not really

dirty. I don't think your problem would be misalignement necessarily as that probably

wouldn't show up till you had processed the film. With a clean mirror and a Maxwell

screen I wouldn't complain about the focusing and you probably wouldn't either.

dpurdy

Unless the camera came with proof of a recent CLA, then it's going to need one. If you are still unhappy with the brightness/focusing after you get it back then you can self install (easy on a 3.5F) a new screen. I had Harry Fleenor do a CLA and install a Maxwell screen on my 2.8E and the difference is like night and day.

I think that you may have an "other" type screen and not a Maxwell because I own five Rolleis

right now with Maxwell screens and have no such problems with any of them. Maxwell WILL

make a screen in any configuration you want, but if it has the split image it usually has a

microprism surrounding it. You can order one from him with just the microprism without

the split image, but I don't think he makes it with the split image only. Call him and ask

him! Tell him the problem and he'll suggest a couple of alternative solutions. (He loves to

get phone calls from people with problems because he takes great pride in solving them.)