Is photoshop enough?

jamieleephoto

I have only been using photoshop to do everything needed with my photos. Once I

start doing more weddings should I buy something like "LIGHTROOM"? I wouldn't

know what to do with the 1,000's of pictures. With my portrait sessions, I can

view and edit each picture in photoshop. Is there a program out there that makes

everything easier and faster for bulk photos?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Jamie

Lightroom is now more valuable to me than photoshop - much faster and more intuative. If I had only one choice it would be LR, however they both are needed. For the low price and the time it saves me, LR is the greatest value in quality output and time savings I have experienced in anything I have purchased.

I use them together in combination. All exposure adjustments, and conversions in LR, and

use PSCS3 for touch ups, and heavy editing. They are both invaluable. If I had to choose, I'd

pick CS3, and use ACR over just having LR. Just my .02 worth.

I bought lightroom a few weeks ago and also elements 5. I love my new workflow. It is very efficient. I agree with Steve that I cannot live without lightroom. You will spend some time learning it but once you do, it will change your life(less time editing.) Options included include a crop/straightening tool and a clone tool. I found these after I bought LR. I also like to print directly from LR to see what my adjustments look like and they have been great. The only thing I use the Photoshop for is the plugin "Portraiture." Also, you can use the lightroom on two computers (mine is on desktop and laptop.)

I'm using a combination of ACDSee Pro2 Beta, Lightroom, and occasionally, PSE5.

I like ACDSee as my organizer, but I really dislike its raw developer. I love the Lightroom raw developer, but its organizing capabilities are just awful IMO. And for those rare occasions wen I need a real editor, PSE5 works well for me.

If you do daily retail work in addition to weddings, you may want Lightroom in order to better organize your work. If you just do weddings (like me), you can easily get by with Bridge and Photoshop.

I would also get the Noise Ninja plugin, especially if you don't shoot with a Canon CMOS camera.

Later,

Paulsky

I have pushed myself to incorporate LR and have recently stopped using it wholesale. The whole idea of library based working is not for me. I prefer the Bridge idea, where it access files where you placed them and does not creat whole new libraries each time I import a new wedding.

LR is good and powerful, but slow to operate in practice to me.

Lightroom was too complicated and putzy for me. Some people swear by it. Try Photo Mechanic (www.camerabits.com). They have free trial versions. It's great for viewing and organizing (lightning fast for 1000's of files). It has a great feature where you give each photo a color class and arrange photos by color, batch rename, etc. I open my folder of photos, arrow key through them and hit "1" for the keepers. Then I click on arrange by color class, and delete all the rest. Thumbnails are viewable instantly, vs. other programs that take forever to load up. I then use PS for color adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...