First hand experience with ZF Makro-Planar 100mm or 50mm

cham_saranasuriya

I have been intrigued by those ZF lenses. Currently I have few Nikon manual

focus cameras. Eventually get a D200 in he next few months. For macro work I

use AF 200/4 Micro (rarely because of the size) or 105/2.8 AI Macro (mainly) or

55mm 3.5 AI macro lenses. As I like the 100mm range I am contemplating on

buying a ZF Makro-Planar 100/2 lens. The other option is the new Nikon 105mm VR

macro. In general for macro work AF & VR are not that beneficial anyway.

Could you please comment on the image quality of the Zeiss ZF Makro-Planar

100mm lens?

The AF and VR of the new Micro Nikkor is not a must in macro work, but a good help for portraits and closer (not macro) shots. The main reason is that "normal" 105mm lenses have a minimum focus distance of near 1 meter (zooms even more), something annoying to me.

Also great at low light or when fast focus is needed. And you can focus manually when macro work requires it.

Non-chipped lenses have also drawbacks to take into account.

If you like fast primes Cham, you'll like the 100/2 ZF. Very unique performance. It only goes to 1:2 though. I haven't put it on a tube yet. It has fantastic bokeh and is very, very sharp wide open. It produces that beautiful Zeiss contrast and color. I've tried some other Zeiss lenses but this one is like the 200/2 VR, once you use it your hooked. I'll try to take a couple shots with it this evening and upload them so you can have a look.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim, I got a few more questions for you:-

1) There was an excellent review of 50/2 at http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/zeiss_zf_50_2/index.htm . What are the advantages of 100/2 over the 50/2?

2) What camera bodies do you use your 100/2. Being manual does it delay the workflow when used in a D200/ D2Xs?

I am looking forwards for your photos. If they are larger files please email me them directly on csmail@bigpond.net.au.

Cheers

Sorry Cham. Couldn't get to it yesterday. I'll have some for you today. I use a D200. I don't have any problems with workflow but I don't do that much post processing anyway. Other than working distance I'm not sure of the optical advantages of the 100 over the 50 other than the normal differences between 50 and 100mm's.

Hi Jim,

I have read that the 100 mm has got the Arri/Zeiss Master Prime optics, used in the Hollywood movie industry for exceptionally selective focusing. Apparently this is the only lens with this facility.

Do you think is there a difference in this lens? Should be siginificant enough to justify >1.5K! Besides Nikon has the b8mm PC which is also a highly regarded optic.

• 3 weeks later...

First post here...

I compared it to a Tamron 90mm today.

The Zeiss shows quite a bit of veiling in stronger light, as well as CA in the OOF areas, where the Tamron is blurring it out nicely.

Hard to focus with only one finger like the Tamron, and it underexposes on my D200 - I have to compensate between +0.3 and +1.0.

The colors are better, Tamron is rather cold and muddy compared to the Zeiss.

What is that Arri-Zeiss mumbo-jumbo? I did not see anything special other than a reasonably good bokeh (can't compare it to the Nikon F/1.4, of course). The DOF seems just about right for an F2 lens in this range...

• 1 month later...