Strange "Betriebst" M7 model

Hi.. im looking at bying this second hand M7 but it has the word "betriebst"

engraved on the top plate... i couldn't find out any information on the internet

about it, the serial number is:

i looked up the what "betriebst" is in english.. and it says "operated" so im

guessing it might be a factory test or training camera?? please help me with

some more info? thanks Shaun

Shaun,

A "Betriebstkamera" translates to "works camera" or a camera that was intended to be used strictly within Leitz. They were (and are) used for testing as you had suggested. I am only familiar with the old RF models, so I can't say how an M7 got out of the factory. Perhaps some of the others can add more information. I know that the betriebst cameras are a bit more valuable for the old models but i don't know about the newer ones.

ciao

David

What does it really say on the top plate? Please be complete and also careful with spelling

when you reply.

One sure way to know that your screw mount Leica is a fake is when the engraving reads

"Luftwaffen" because there is an "n" too much

I have not heard of any M7 fakes, but neither of any "Betriebstkamera" either. There is one

"t" too much there, the second one to be specific.

Chris

The "Betriebst" engraving appeared on the top plate of 100 (each) MP and M7 cameras in 2003/4.

There were also a batch of R9 cameras, but they were silk-screened "Betriebst" - not engraved.

If I recall correctly Leica offered them to dealers at a discount price to be used as demos.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I get the impression after doing some background that the last true betriebsk was the M3. The M7's and MP's that Bill mentions were "special editions" that appeared some time after their introduction to the market and they were not factory test cameras, just smart marketing. Whether or not this is the case, they probably will have greater value on the basis of the additional engraving.

David