AF lock BEEP always on (1Ds) - what is wrong?

oistein

I wonder if anyone here can help me. I had my Canon 1Ds in for repair some time

ago. However, when I got the camera back, the AF (auto focus) lock beep is

always on. The 1Ds (and all other EOS cameras I think) has a power button with

two different "on" positions. The first one is with no sounds and the next one

is with sounds. My camera keeps beeping no matter which one of the "on"

positions that has been chosen. Does anybody know if this can be easily fixed

or do I have to return it to Canon?

Thanks a lot for your input.

-Oistein Thomassen (www.captureoflight.com)

I don't know if there is one, I glanced through the current manual and couldn't find the equivalent setting in the menu. On the 5D it is right at the beginning of picture taking settings 0 = on, 1 = off.

Perhaps your camera had a different firmware version before the repair? If that was so and responsible for the difference, you might revert to the earlier firmware if you would prefer.

You can trade cameras with me. I sent my 1Ds in for repairs a while back and now I don't get a focus confirmation beep at all in either position.

I imagine you'll have to send it back in as there aren't any menu settings to adjust that. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

thanks for your suggestions. Not sure if that was a joke, Dakotah.. (about the batteries). Frank, seems like this function is a bit unstable then. If you were living in Norway, I'd be happy to switch cameras ;-)

The function seems stable enough as it worked perfectly well before I sent the camera in for repairs. It seems more like something that gets overlooked by technicians while they're reassembling the camera. I guess in the grand scheme of things (the way I imagine it goes) once they've checked the AF, and the metering, and the shutter function and the display and all the other major systems after re-assembly it's probably easy to overlook a little chirp function.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a 'tongue in cheek' joke. It is frustrating to have something fixed only to have another problem crop up. Most likely as a result of the guys who fixed the original problem. Doesn't instill much confidence in their work.

The digital cameras are scanners in a small box. Computers that are hand holdable for recording what is in front of the camera.(or at 90 degrees or so with some)

I have not yet seen a computer that doesn't break down, freeze up, or have problems of some sort. It is no wonder we see so many complaints about the digital cameras. Not nearly as sturdy as my old Nikon F2 or even the old Calumet 4x5. Maybe gee whiz technology but same old DAMMIT frustration when they don't work right.