info in the viewfinder is dim

ninhtam

I just got the 30D not long ago and tested it outside yesterday. I found that

the bottom line info (exposure, settings.....) when view in the viewfinder is

dim. Sometimes it's hard to see the exposure level. Do any of you have this

problem with your 30D. or is there a setting to brighten it up. thanks Much.

Ninhtam

I think it is light leaking into the viewfinder from bright light to the side and behind the

photographer. Different people have different shaped heads and eye cup areas, some prone

to let more light in. In bright situations, I started to use a rubber eyecup that looks like a

reverse suction cup that I feel eliminates the problem.

My 20D VF data display is plenty bright for use on white sand beaches here in Hawaii. However, some people, especially eye glass wearers have complained about it. Maybe eyes are different or the backlight varies from camera to camera.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

This issue crops up regularly, and although some users are happy with the brightness of the information, there are certainly plenty (like me) who are not. A firmware fix could at best keep the display at its maximum brightness, but I think the problem is that that is still not bright enough. The 5D has the same problem as the 20D and 30D, although maybe not quite as bad. The really irritating thing is that Canon used to have this right - I never had a problem with EOS film bodies (my 1, 3, and 1V, and my wife's 10 and 1V), and I understand it is not a problem on the 1D series nor even on the 10D, so why they suddenly lost the plot is a mystery.

The D30 I found ok but I rang Canon 2 yr ago when I got the 20d, they said send it in for adjustment and told me it could be brighter, I never did as didn`t have the time, also never heard of anyone finding out if it could be done. my wife has no probs with the 20d but hates the smaller font on the rear lcd. now when the nex model due :)

I find the viewfinder info too dim when I have the sun to my side. I wear glasses and this makes it worse. I took a 20D to Canon UK; they said it was normal and that there no adjustment could be done to make it brighter.

The 30D is just as bad. I am wondering if the light from the viewfinder info could affect the metering sensor in low light conditions, and that's why Canon don't make it brighter.

A special eyecup, EDe, like that for the EOS 30/Elan 7E would help, but there isn't one for the 350/400/20/30D family.

I just put up with it and get annoyed when I find I've left exposure compensation on and been unable to see it.

Henry