Micro or Super Macro lens for Oly E-500 any ideas

priit_pole

Can't do much better than an Olympus 35/3.5 or 50/2 Macro if you want a 4/3 System lens.

Coupled with a teleconverter or extension tube, you can get very high magnification.

You can always use any other lens or microscope adapter for more specialized work as dumb

lenses. An enlarging lens set up with a T-mount adapter to 4/3 System and bellows or

extension tubes is often an inexpensive way to get a very high quality lens corrected for

close-field, high magnification imaging.

Godfrey

The first thing I would want to ask is; what do you mean by the words "micro or supermacro" IOW what final field size are you wanting to photograph? Lets say for instance that you want to photograph a 1 X 1 inch stamp full frame. On your 13X18mm sensor that would require a lens that would focus to 1/2 lifesize or a ratio of 1:2. If however you have in mind to photograph a fly's eye that would require an 5X to 7X magnification or a ratio of 5:1~7:1 on the Olympus 4/3 sensor! Thats within the range of short focal length lenses on a bellows. If however you close up needs range from the postage stamp field size up to the post card field size then 35mm f3.5 or 50mm f2 macros previously suggested will do fine. Even a regular Zuiko or 3rd party macro in the OM mount with an adapter would work, albeit as a manual only, stop down to meter lens. Even humble, inexpensive, thread in close-up lenses in the filter thread size of your kit lens would get you down to fairly small field sizes. There are many solutions, each with its strong and weak points.

thanks for all answers ... maybe yes micro is too much to ask but if i saw this 35mm photo thats almost enough also but i would like a bit more closer view. Mainly to make some photos of insects and flowers. i think the 50mm lens is a bit better because its better ( ihope) in dark conditions also ... right now kit objective 14-45mm i have but its too dark and that makes sometimes too difficult to ake a good shot. I will include one photo what i would like to make ... almost...

If you are contemplating insect photography, a key aspect is the working distance needed to prevent spooking the subject, in which case the 50mm (effective 100mm) lens is the better choice. For even longer working distances - rattle snakes or anything venemous, or if you are still spooking your subjects consider the 50-200 with the extension tube or 1.4 teleconverter. For static flowers the shorter working distance of the 35mm (effective 70mm) is not such a problem.

For macro you you need to stop down to get the necessary depth of focus, - the closer you focus a lens the narrower the depth of field for any given aperture.....so the 50mm F2 lens, whilst optically faster than the 35mm will still probably be used at the F8 range rather than wide open at F2, so negating any "shutter speed" considerations.

Mike

Hi, I hope I can be of some help to you Priit Pole.

Close-Up filters are a cheap way to undertake macro-photography while you learn the art and see if it's really a direction you wish to go in. I've been using an Olympus C-770 with close-up filters with very acceptable results. See some images at http://sparra.liliums.org.

Note: That some of the images were taken using a good quality Ringflash which in a lot of cases is a necessity.

After a while at honing my skills, I have now decided to purchase an Olympus E-510 with the following bits as it's an area I wish to pursue.

Olympus Extension Tube EX-25

Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro Lens

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro<div>00Lqyj-37438284.jpg.63cc88fea5263273c73e7f4950fa7a81.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...