What zoom lens for low light conditions at weddings?

The 18 135mm kitlens that came with my Nikon D80 won't automatically focus in

the low light conditions that exist in wedding settings. I was unable to

manually focus in the low light as well.

I was using the Nikon SB800 flash unit but it was no help to focus .. perhaps

distance was the problem or it wasn't set properly.

Advice from forum contributors suggest that a better lens would help solve the

problem.

I've looked at Nikon, Tamron and Sigma for their zoom lenses but I have no idea

what an "ideal" zoom lens to look for. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John McGurk

i suggest a good Nikon 50mm f/1.8 since the cameras have a smaller chip then a 35mm frame it would be considered a 80mm f/1.8 or you could go with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4. Remember that the magnification factor is 1.6 meaning 50mmx1.6=80mm these lens will give a crisper picture as it will give you a nice effect due to the F/1.8 or 1.4 your depth of field would be greater. But i would suggest turning the AF light assist to help the auto focus. As far as i know the last thing might be taking them to a place were there is enough light to take good pictures.

To Vincent:

No, I was filling in for the hired photographer who was very late for the function. Lots of weddings on 07-07-07 so I offered to shoot what I could until he showed up. After he arrived I backed off.

To Tim:

I switched from the 18 - 135mm zoom lens that wouldn't hold focus in the low lighting conditions and put my Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens on ... just like yours ... and had no problems from then on.

The problem is needing a wide angle lens then needing a long lens in an instant. Changing lenses on the run is difficult at best and costly if I drop one (I'll never forget when that happened on my only wide angle lens.)

Thanks,

John

I put the Camera on a bracket; bracket has hot-shoe mount. On this mount, I placed a Video Light (Continuos Light) with sort of Fresnel-lens narrowing its beam like a telephoto's field: I turn the Continuos Light ON, press the shutter-release half-way allowing focusing, then I quickly turn the Light OFF by my left hand holding the bracket's handle and take the picture.

Video Light does not affect exposure with me, as I shoot manual-mode.