quality, fixed focus route, just to begin with. Started with a 24, 50 and 105

macro. All 52mm filters, so I had one size of filters. I added a 35, also

52mm filter. Then I added 70-300 and 28-105 zooms, both with 62mm filters, and

a 300 f4, my closest thing to a big sports or wildlife lens. The 28-105, 24,

105 and 70-300, sometimes with a diopter, got the heaviest usage. All fit

nicely into a bag. The 28-105 died a while back and the 50 just died, both

accidental deaths as a result of my clumsiness. The 35 is in the shop to get

oil removed. I have to say that the 28-105 was the best all-around lens I've

used. Great for travel and hikes. Reasonable speed and macro if need be.

Using mostly Velvia and Reala film, I was very please with the color and

sharpness of my photography.

Now I've started into the digital slr world and I don't have anything that is

particularly wide. My 24mm is a 36mm. On top of that, I do worry more about

dust, what will all the changing of the fixed lenses.

I like light, small relatively affordable lenses. I also prefer not having too

many filter sizes. I was thinking of getting the 18-55 lens because it has a

52mm filter size. I miss the 28mm and 24mm perspectives. I use both a great

deal in landscape shooting, and the 28 is great for travel and people in the

environment. Has anyone got some shots taken with the 18-55 that show it to be

a good performer for landscapes (?), ... say stopped down between f8-f16. If I

were to take it to a party and shoot it at 5.6, would I be disappointed? I'm

thinking not, as I usually figure on shooting higher iso, knowing that I'm just

printing 4 by 6, or sending pics in an email attachment. Could I expect

similar results as I had with the 28-105? I've read some reviews on the 18-55

and it's a mixed bag, some like it, ... some don't. It close focuses, which is

nice. If I stop the lens down and put it on a tripod, will it give me results

that I have come to expect from my 24mm and ex 28-105?

I'm also wondering if I should wait and see if Nikon will produce a dx lens in

the full frame range of say 24mm - 85mm or a bit longer, ... something with a

4.5 max aperture and some macro ability. I'm planning to replace my recently

broken 50, and I wonder about waiting on such a zoom, ... or just going for the

DX18-55. Having a 28-105 type zoom would mean less worries about dust

accumulation -- less lens changes.

Anyone been where I am and got some advice? Also, ... I really would like to

see shots taken with the 18-55, ... something other than targets, ... real

world shots showing off the versatility and performance of the zoom. Thx in

advance. CC

Your best bet is to try the lens out for yourself. If you buy from a store that accepts returns, you can always return it if you don't like it. I believe it will exceed your expectations.

I have it and find it produces exceptionally good results in good light or with flash. Low light performance is typical of any 4-5.6 lens.

These are some test shots I recently posted. The images on the left were shot with the d40 and the 18-55. The center images were shot with a d80 and the 18-55. The images on the right were shot with a d200 and the 17-55. All images are unaltered (except the 6mp d40 image was resized). Wide open without post processing, the 18-55 images were superior to the 17-55, a lens costing over 10 times more.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=738013

I have yet to read a complaint from someone that owns and uses the lens.

Hope this helps. Again, I suggest you try the lens out for yourself.

From what I can tell, Elliot, I don't see anything in your shots to put me off the 18-55. I appreciate your response. On your shots, it looks like the exposure or color rendering is set up, ... or perhaps just coming off, differently. The d80 shots with 18-55 are coming out more saturated with slightly higher contrast, (perhaps a little under?), qualities that I tend to like. I use a polarizer a fair amount in my landscape and nature shots. Have you tried a polarizer on the lens? Will the "regular" polarizers I have work, or do I have to purchase a thin version? I usually order from B&H and Adorama to save a few dollars, so returning the lens is a bit of a hassle. I'll check and see what Wolf/Ritz is asking for the lens here in Dallas.

Still looking for more shots (smile), ... folks that have a folder or two of images they are very proud of that were rendered with the 18-55 lens. CC

I think 17-55 with D200 has given a better result than 18-55 with D40 or D80. D40 not sharp and little over exp and D80 little under exposure more saturated color may be 1/2 stop closed. May be some one may evaluate this shots better than me.?

I think it also depends on what you want to shoot. I shoot a fair amout of street stuff,

mostly with a nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 VR DX AF-S ED and found most of my shots were

at the extremes of the focal length I had available. That said I wanted something a little

wider for landscapes as well as tight urban shots, so I recently acquired a nikkor AF-S

12-24mm f/4 G IF-ED DX. It's getting most of what I wanted, but I'm still getting to know

it. Here's a shot, http://www.photo.net/photo/6151657 , shot at

sunrise with a polarizing filter. It's not particularly good for architectural exteriors because

the distoration, although fixable in ps, is a bit extreme for building, but I don't have any

complaints on the landscape side.

jim

Hi CC,

The 18-70 would give you just about exactly what you had with the 28-105. Its real sharp as well. I have it and the 18-200vr as well and it is definitely sharper than the 18-200vr. It would work real well with your 70-300 too!

Another option if you like the 24mm FOV is to consider the 16-50 F2.8 Tokina. that would make it the equivalent of a 24-75mm F2.8. I don't know much about the lens though.. but the specs looks interesting. someone may be able to comment on it.

TW

Hi CC,

If you miss 24mm and 28mm for landscapes, the 18-55 or 17-55 may not give you the full width you are looking for. Have you considered the 12-24mm? It gives you 18-36mm equivalent (35mm). There are also 3 similar lenses produced by Tokina, Sigma and Tamron if your budget does not allow the Nikon. Plenty of tests available on the internet.

These are with Tokina 12-24mm f4.0

http://www.photo.net/photo/6061001

http://www.photo.net/photo/6060996

I use a regular polarizer, though not at the widest focal length - the polarizing effect tends to be uneven across the wide area covered.

Thank you for your responses TW and Jim. I'd really like to have the 12-24 but I can't afford that and it doesn't fit in with the filter sizes I have. Something like that will probably be in my bag two years from now. I haven't seen it but I'm guessing that is'fairly hefty. TW, I am looking at the third party options, but deep inside, it's hard to do that as I got into the Nikon line because of the lens quality. From what I can tell, it looks like cheap can be good these days and simpler zoom designs, are still likely to outperform larger ranges. The 18-70 is like my old 28-105, without the macro performance. The 18-55 doesn't have the range and speed of my old zoom, but it does focus closely and it appears to be sharp when stopped down, where I will most use it. It also uses the 52mm filters I already have. Losing the range between 55 and 70 might bother me, but probably not often at all. The slow 5.5 aperture might be an annoyance but it's not a show stopper as I do have fast primes. Everything I have is relatively small and lightweight and so far I'm not hurting for options that provide good performance. The 18-55 returns me to the wide world, somewhat. I'm not sure that I'm seeing exactly the zoom lens I would like at this point, so it's probably best to go cheap and see if something really hits my fancy later. The 24-120 VR in full frame was always interesting to me, but I was afraid that I might be tempted to shoot at the 120 length where the zoom wasn't sharp. The 28-105 did a lot of things right. Perhaps the 18-70 is due for some upgrading. Maybe not. Consumers seem to be telling Nikon to go longer on their zoom ranges (18-135, replacing 18-70 as kit lens, and that 18-200 do everything lens). An 18-135 with VR would be interesting to me in the same way as the 24-120 was, and I might buy such a lens in the future. By then, I should be ready to buy a different size polarizer. The 18-55 seems to be the most practical thing to do while I wait. I do wish I could see more shots taken with it, though. I have seen folders with great shots here taken by the 18-70 (one of the photographer's in today's best pictures listing), but I'm not finding many with the 18-55. Thx. CC

I have had a play with the 18-55. My brother-in-law has one. I have the 18-70 and the 18-200vr and the 12-24 nikkors. I like the 18-70 over the 18-55.. I find it a bit plasticky. Image quality wise within the same ranges of 18-55 I think they are much the same. somehow I like the images from the 18-70 better .. cant put a finger on it.. IQ wise they are both better than the 18-200VR within the 18-55 range. However, I have the 18-200 VR on my camera almost all the time... I still keep my 18-70 because its sharper.. and can be used with my 12mm extension tubes for some nice macro shots.