Please give me your opinion on what to purchase next.

squiggs77

I shoot weddings as a second job on the weekends with my wife as my assistant.

I have some money from my work that I'm going to use to purchase some equipment.

It's about $1000.

I currently use:

Nikon D80 & Nikon D70

Nikon 18-70mm f3.5-4.5

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Sigma 50-150mm f2.8

Nikon 50mm f1.8

Two SB800s + Lighstand & Umbrella

Two Flip-it! Flash Bounce Cards

A Monopod and a Tripod

I'm thinking about getting the Sigma 10-20mm and the Sigma 30mm f1.4. Any

thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben, I appreciate your response. I'm not really interested in the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 because I'm very pleased with the performance of my Tamron. I know that the focus motor in the Nikon is faster and silent. But I don't feel that the price difference is worth the tiny bit faster focus, and I don't shoot weddings every weekend to need the increased durability of the Nikon.

What is UWA?

In order of cost:

Flash bracket.

Get a 35 2.0 used from KEH. Nice lens for bride's prep.

Upgrade your filters to B&Ws (don't underestimate the value of this one).

Trade up the Tamron for a Nikon 17-55 2.8.

Trade up your cameras for either a D200 or better yet a Fuji S5.

Nolt sure of the performance of the sigma 50-150.. 2.8 interesting to see that one but I would say

-sell the d70 and step up to the d200 as your main camera

-consider the 10.5 fisheye as you really have your lenses covered

-sell the sigma and get the 70-200VR or 80-200 AFS 2.8

Hi Carlos,

I use the 50 f1.8 for indoor natural light shots. It's over a stop more sensitive than f2.8. I have it on my D70 all the time and use the other lenses on my D80. I would like to be able to capture even more light, that is why I'm looking at a f1.4 lens. The f2.8 lenses aren't quite fast enough to not have a flash indoors.

Take this with a grain of salt because I don't really what you are look for, but unless a piece of gear is bothering you (quality, durability, sharpness, etc) or you have a certain vision that you can't do with the gear you have, it seems like you're all set to cover most everything.

Personally I might get some cheap ebay wireless triggers and try some more creative flash techniques, or an 85/1.4 or maybe a fast wide angle - but again, that's what been interesting me lately. :-)

How about little things that slow you down during the day? Are your bags efficient? Flash bracket? (I don't like them) Ever consider a set of reflectors for fill instead of flash? (You might already have that) I'm just brainstorming here.

If you are wanting to make money as a photog, consider investing it in more training/workshops/advertising/brochures/etc - or savings/CD/MM/stocks - whatever. You never know when you're going to drop your camera and need to buy something fast.

My 0.02, but I also understand wanting to buy more gear. It's fun.

• 2 weeks later...