Revisited: A British wedding in an American portfolio...How to find a way to shoot a wedding in England?

steve_c.5

I posted something on this subject awhile back, and got no response. Maybe I

will this time from some helpful person...

I love all things British. I've always wanted to visit England, and so far,

haven't found the means to get there. However, shooting a wedding there might

just be the ticket.

I'd love to find someone in England who might be interested in getting to know

an American, and help facilitate my landing a wedding shoot where I might be

able to take advantage of some of England's beautiful scenery. The wedding fee

would offset my travel, I'd get to visit England, and I'd come home with a very

unusual portfolio piece, something most American wedding shooters don't have.

If anyone in GB has some ideas on this, or might know someone who could help me

realize this dream, I'd love to hear from them. Cheers!

Hi Steve,

I'm in South Africa. So if you're keen to do something along those lines please shout. I'm keen on doing the same in Jul this year when its winter and there is very little to do in South Africa.

Would love to add a few pics of a bride in NY to my portfolio. Will work for free :-)

My work is at www.christiaandavid.co.za

I'm in Pretoria close to Johannesburg, if any P.net members need a place to stay or some advice on the country.

Go well

chris

I'm in Ireland and can give you tips if you'd like to give it a try here. I'm an American living here, and it' a beautiful place to photograph! With the exchange rate being so good for those of us who make euro, I'd say there are tons of brides willing to pay for your hotel and flight in exchange for pictures! Just post your info in the forums on www.weddingsonline.ie and I'm sure you'll get some takers! Many of the weddings I do have receptions in beautiful country houses and castles...and it's usually cloudy which makes for great light. Good luck!

Erm... are there no legal problems?

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago telling the story of a wedding photographer getting arrested for working without a working permit, and I think, at least in the U.S., this is not an unrealistic scenario.

If anybody knows better, please tell me, I wouldn?t mind doing a wedding in New York every now and then either!

<p>Steve, as a suggestion it might help to post a link to your portfolio. Otherwise you're

asking people to recommend or sub-contract to an unknown photographer from another

country. Quite a tall order, and rife with legal problems in the event of dissatisfaction.</p>

<p>If you're serious about this and can show a good portfolio I'm sure you'll get some

interest.</p>

Thanks so much for everyone's comments and help here. I purposely don't provide a website link on this forum for personal reasons, but will provide it to anyone who is seriously interested in my work, or with whom I communicate directly. I'm a professional wedding photographer with a professional website.

Those who have asked for my website will be contacted directly.

As for those wanting to come to the US to shoot a wedding, I don't think it's a problem. We don't have customs police running around to all the wedding venues checking the identity or papers of the photographers. It's a free country. If you're invited by the couple to shoot their wedding, nobody is going to interrogate you. I assume it's the same in the UK?

And, yes, the point was to "make the trip pay for itself", not only monetarily, but in the portfolio enhancement and personal experience, regardless of events I shoot here.

Much thanks to all!