wide angle conversion lens

debejyo

I use Yashica 124G MAT, a fixed lens TLR. I am interested in getting a good wide

angle conversion lens. I am looking at something about 0.4x with any standard

filter thread size. Upon little investigation I realized that most of these kind

are built for camcorders and are of inferior photographic quality. Can anyone

suggest me a superior quality wide angle conversion lens that is reasonable in

price?

Also, i'm looking forward to getting a macro conversion lens that takes me to a

1:1 magnification on my 6x6 film.

Thanks for taking your time out to give me your opinion.

Pacific (q.v., Schneider) auxillary wide angle lenses are actually pretty good, and are available in larger thread sizes. While not cheap (e.g., $400 for a 72mm thread size), they are less expensive than the lens they replace. A typical rectilinear WA adapter has a factor of 0.7. I suspect that one with a factor of 0.4 is a fisheye lens. Unfortunately, you need an adapter for both the viewing and taking lens. Personally, I'd suggest getting a medium format SLR if you feel the need for interchangeable lenses.

TLRs like yours are just not made for that.

Your lens is bay I (about 30mm) and adapting something much larger with curvature won't do (unlike filters up to 52mm) . There are wide auxiliary lens kits for that and Yashica made it but all have modest effect (0.7 or 0.8x) and quality loss.

On close-ups, it is better. There are kits (taking + viewing lenses for parallax correction) in +1, +2 and +3 . There are also up to +6 without taking lens and you would need a parallax adjuster. But again a TLR is not good for 1:1 . Still, a nice +2 gets close-ups with minimal quality lost. Over that, it is progressively harder and poorer.

NB : the parallax comes from the different height of the taking lens and is a problem only within 3.5 feet.

So, you want something your TLR is the worst at. You will have to go for a slr, even a modest one.

I use a fish-eye conversion lens on my Seagull TLR. My subject matter is landscape and the camera is always on a tripod. First the fish-eye auxilliary lens is screwed onto the viewing lens of the TLR for composing and focussing. Then the fish-eye is transferred to the taking lens and the exposure is made.

Image quality is ok if the Seagull is stopped all the way down to an unmarked f27. The final photographs are framed and matted as circles to acknowledge the fish-eye effect.

Audience response seems positive but I suspect it is the novelty value of round pictures rather exceptional creativity that does the trick. At least it is not something that everyone else is doing.

I am thankful to all of you for sharing your opinions. However, I have some further comments.

Francois, I am looking for a kit thats fits on to a 55mm ( or 52mm )filter because I have bayI adapters for them. Moreover, all the filters that I use are of that thread size. So I do not wish to use a bay1 attachment. In fact, in my opinion (please correct me if I am wrong as I do not have much experience) the nikon or similar close-up lenses are much superior than the yashica made ones.

I had in mind what Maris does. I wanted to first use it on the viewing lens to compose and then the taking lens to capture. Regarding the parallex, I think I have to get experienced to compensate it. I am trying to push the TLR beyond its limit. But Maris, I did not wish to do a fish-eye photo. I was thinking of a regular wider view (without any curvature effect). Nevertheless, if Maris happens to have some photo in the digital form, i'd love to take a look at them. I'm sure they will look interesting.

Oh, let me reveal one more thing. I am planning to get a nikon D40. So, i'm trying to see if there are these attachments that I can buy and use it on both the cameras as I love to see the stuff in film. I'd use the DSLR for experiment and learning purposes. Unfortunately, I cannot invest in a Hasselblad system now. So do you think that it is completely impossible for me to do these kind of stuff on my TLR?

First, there 3 are step-ups available from bay 1 : to 46, 49 or 52mm. Obviously you want the 52mm. If you go larger, 2 problems will arise : you will obstruct your viewing lens too much and you won't be able to access the aperture and speed wheels . So stick to 52mm (i use both bay 1 and 49mm stuff)

Second, about the Nikon or similar close-up lenses being much superior than the Yashica made ones : yes and no depending on wich one.

There are basically 2 kinds. The most common are single element but the better ones have 2 and are called 'achromat'. They are much thicker and a lot better (not more powerfull but less quality loss)The single one are still fine if you don't exceed +2 but when you can, get the 2 elements kind. Nikon ordinary one element is not much better than other brands ordinary ones. There are no 2 elements in bay 1.

They are also optimise for focal lenght. For exemple , the Nikon 3T and 4T are for teles like 105 (80 to 200 i believe) taking 52mm filter size ; 5T and 6T same thing but for 62mm.

Now, if you get a Nikon no 3 (for normal) and you put it on your TLR, it will work just fine but won't give the same power (would be more likely like a +2) . Also, you will have to put it on the top lens first to make focus, then place it on the taking lens. Finally, you will have to rise the camera a little to place the lower taking lens at the same place the viewing lens was (or your picture will be lower than framed)

This is why a step-up is fine for your filters but for close-ups, you may still want to get a bay 1 set (the upper part is thicker because it also corrects parallax; you just install them and shoot normally)

Third, the powerfull wide add-ons all have curvature (fish-eye like) and a modest 0.8 won't really satisfy you. There is no wide wonder for your TLR, you will have to get a super wide lens for your D40

Francois, thanks a lot for your advice. Could you suggest me from where I can get the 2 elements nikon close-up? 52mm is fine. I am ready to take the trouble of composing keeping in mind the parallex. i want the achromat version.