away) to 0.8m(the closest the 40 will go). When just attaching it to my M7 and

focussing, the 40mm gave exactly the same distance read out as the 50mm. When

pictures were compared(fuji 100 speed color neg. film, scanned on a nikon

coolscan V) there were no out of focus problems with either lens. So in my

example at least, it works fine. BTW, I got it because I wanted a smoother

transition for OOF elements than my 35mm asph summi gives me, and I really like

the 40mm focal length.

David

It is my most arrogant opinion that whoever started the crap about Midland vs Wetzlar lenses are also responsible for the Leica M/Summicron C myth. Countless posts to this forum attest the compatibility and if any have verifiably revealed the contrary they are certainly a small minority. The 'C' is one of the best Summicrons ever produced and still the best bargain costwise! Both theories have become urban myths and should be treated as such; but I suppose there will always be more dweebs to perpetuate them.

I can't understand why everybody is so mad about this lens. It's OK, but nothing to write

home about anyway. The perspective of it being "cheap" could be argued, when comparing

it to newer Voigtlaender glass or a Rollei 35.

Perhaps I got a bad example, but I doubt it.

Concerning the focussing issue, the cam is surely different from M lenses, so probably the

focussing accuracy could be worse -sort of higher distance sensitivity to the same rotation

of the lens-.

Cheers.

Marc

David Crist wrote:

> BTW, I got it because I wanted a smoother transition for OOF elements than my 35mm asph summi gives me, and I really like the 40mm focal length.

David,

I have the 40mm f/2 Summicron-C for exactly the same reasons. I sold by 35mm f/2 Summicron (4th version) and replaced it with the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. That is a very fine lens. Its only weakness is the OOF highlight rendition which is neutral at best and can be harsh.

The 40mm Summi-C has OOF rendition that is every bit as smooth as the last pre-ASPH 35mm Summi, and it is no slouch when it comes to resolution and contrast. I would even hazard the opinion that, with the exception of slightly more light fall-off, it is in other respects the equal of the legendary last pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron.

The C lens focuses perfectly on my M7s, my M3 and my Minolta CLE. There are focusing issues with my Konica Hexar RF but I already know that the RF body needs its rangefinder adjusted.

Tony

Oh, mine focusses nicely on my M6; so does my Elmar-C, but that does not mean anything

about focussing differences between both cameras and lenses.

Please, do not take me wrong; the summicron C is a nice lens. But that's all.

Cheers.

Marc

This is not a myth!

The accuracy of focusing the "C" lenses on "M" cameras is highly dependent on the length of the "focusing arm" (because of the sloped focusing cam). If the length is spot-on, the focusing of the "M" and "C" lenses will be perfect. If it is slightly off, your "M" lenses will be unaffected (or it will be rarely noticeable), but you might have problems with focus on the wide open "C" lenses. If the length is way off, all of your lenses will be affected (at some distances), but more so with the "C" lenses.

David, it's a nice lens, enjoy taking pictures with it!

Greetings,

Damir

I prefer the Rokkor or 40 cron for image (OOF)and cost reasons mentioned by a previous poster. The Rokkor is multi coated, has available 40.5 filters, a normal cam, and handles great on camera. It's perspective is close to 35mm and matches the 35mm frameline. I read it may not be as sharp close-up as the 40 or 35 cron but is sharper out to the edge. What a great lens.

"The Rokkor is multi coated, has available 40.5 filters, a normal cam, and handles great on camera."

This is really only half true. Only the CLE's Rokkor has these attributes. The Leitz Minolta Cl's Rokkor is virtually identical to the Summicron C apart from 40.5mm filters.

Opps, my comments were about the CLE Rokkor. Regardless, any of the 40mm cron or Rokkor optics are a great buy and effective image making optics. The 40mm is a great all-rounder and good start for a one or two lens outfit; reducing costs at no loss in image quality. Plus, the 40mm is more ergonomic than the 35mm cron v1-3.

Irrespective of the slope of the cam there is a built-in error due to the swing of the follower arm. The point of contact between the follower and the cam is further from the arm's pivot at mid-focus than it is at near and infinity. This difference is approximately the same as the deflection induced by the sloped cam, and thus self compensating except in the rare instances that the arm is not set at optimum length. Admittedly an accumulation of positive only or negative only errors could account for the reported mis-match; but, the infrequency of this occurring relegates the paranoia about it into the realm of urban myth! ((;~[