Oregon Travel

mary_beth_aiello

In October, my husband and I are planning a five-day visit to Oregon,

traveling from Portland to Pendleton in the east. As I've never been there,

any suggestions of great photo opportunities?

I particularly love nature and wildlife, and have heard at some locations

there are elk and wild Mustangs. That would be terrific.

I have a Canon 30D.

Many thanks for you input.

The trip from Portland to Pendleton is only a few hours by car, so you really have the entire five days to travel where ever you like. October is a transitional month in terms of weather--the early part of the month is often lovely but by late October or early November the winter rainy season arrives. Therefore you might want to be a bit flexible in your itinerary, particularly if you will be traveling in late October. East of the Cascade Mountains is generally much drier than west of the mountains, so if the weather is rainy you could elect to spend most of your time in the east.

The route from Portland to Pendleton goes directly through the Columbia Gorge, known for many spectacular waterfalls, which is best seen by doing some hiking. There are many guidebooks plus info readily available online. You could spend as many days as you like hiking there.

From Portland, it is an easy day trip by car to visit the northern part of the Oregon coast, which is very rugged and wonderfully photogenic. Cannon Beach is the closest destination to Portland. From there you could either drive north to Astoria or south to Lincoln City and return to Portland via a different route. There are many elk in the coast range of mountains, but they are usually easiest to view in the winter months when they move to lowlands to graze.

Just south of the Columbia Gorge is Mount Hood which offers great mountain views (if the rains haven't started). There is great hiking there. In October the mountain meadows can be lovely with the huckleberry plants turning bright scarlet and aspens and other deciduous trees also turning.

As you drive farther east along the Columbia River, another possible excursion is to drive south through Condon (where there are fascinating wind turbines in the wheat fields) and Fossil to the Painted Hills unit of the John Day Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument.

Just east of Pendleton, the terrain climbs rapidly. I think the landscapes in that area, particularly in the transition zone from open country to high timber, are especially scenic.

SE Oregon is where the Mustangs live here is a link to where you can find them. http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/burns/wildhorse/kiger.php

If your looking for Elk becareful were you go because it will be the middle of Hunting Season.

If you are going to Photograph around Portland the Gorge should still have some fall colors and Mt St Helens is right across the river in Washington.

The Annual Cranberrian Fair happens in Oct. near Longbeach WA. http://www.funbeach.com/events/cranberrian/index.html

They flood the bogs and wet harvest the berries and is very colorful.