Screw mount Tessar for MF. Need your advice!

dimi3

Hi, everybody. Some days ago I obtained a CZ Jena Tessar T 2.8/80. firstlyI

thought that this is a portrait lens for 35mm camera (39 or 42 mm screw size),

that`s why I bought it. But at home I checked the screw size, it is 41 mm.

After that I decided to check focusing with a 35mm SLR. I`ve focused Tessar to

infinity and the screen of my SLR showed normal picture when the lens was

nearly 3-4 cm away from the camera. That`s why I made a conclusion that my

Tessar is probably designed to use with a MF camera. Please advise me on this

question. Some extra details, e.g. value of the lens, how I can use it, the

original camera for the lens will help me much. Thanks in advance. Dima

There was a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2,8/80 for the East German Praktisix. But this is no screw-mount camera. There is also a Tessar 2,8/80 for the very early Hasselblad cameras 1600F and 1000F which has some sort of screw mount. But these were not made in Jena but in Oberkochen. And the diameter should be larger than 41 mm but I have no 1000F lens here at the moment to check it.

Ulrik

Hi

maybe there's a serial no anywhere or could you post a picture of the lens. The Exa Exakta also had Jena Tessars but there is so much info about old Tessars on the web, so please give us more details.

regards Richard

Guys, big thanks for your interest in this topic. I was really surprized by the screw size of 41 mm, I rechecked another 39mm and 42mm and it`s really a 41 mm screw. I will post the picture of the lens later on today, `cause now I`m at the office. May be it could be a lens unscrewed from a fixed-lens camera??? I refreshed in memory that Maximum aperture is 32.

@ Paul: If you take a lens for Hasselblad 1000F/1600F in your hands you will see the thread. You screw the lens into the camera mount until a small screw that sits on the lens locks into it's final position in the camera mount.

Anyway, the lens pictured here is not for Hasselblad 1000/1600F. Judging from the way the rear barrel is shaped I would think it was made for a SLR camera . The slanted barrel may be made like this to make place for the swinging mirror.

Ulrik

It might be an earlier version of this lens. Notice the three slotted rings on your lens. This Praktisix camera has 2 slotted rings but they are the same. In the sales text the nomenclature is the same. http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-Praktisix-II-SLR-Medium-Format-Tessar-2-8-80_W0QQitemZ120137631140QQihZ002QQcategoryZ710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem