Best Media Card for Canon 5D, 30D, and Xti

amy_wilson

Frankly, CF cards are basically commodity items these days. I would not spend extra for

any particular brand among those that are widely distributed.

I'm currently using to 8GB cards in my 5D, one a generic "R-Data" 120x card and the

other a Transcend card. I've had other brands of cards in the past including SanDisk,

Kingston and other generic brands. Pretty much anything with a 100x or 120x rating is

going to perform equally.

Some of the supposedly very fast cards may spec out at very high transfer rates, but the

odds are that your camera cannot take advantage of this.

I buy more or less the cheapest 120x card from a known distributor, but I do not worry

about brand and I'm certainly not about to pay extra for, say, Sandisk.

Take care,

Dan

I have been exclusively using Sandisk (several Ultra IIs and an Extreme III) for several years now. I have never had a problem with them. I don't mind paying a little extra for a brand with proven reliability...especially not when my data is at stake.

Is there a 'useable' limit to the size of cards?

With the price of CF & SD cards falling by ~50% in the last year I'm thinking of adding to my 2x CF Lexar Pro 133x 2GB cards & 2x SD SanDisk Extreme III 2GB cards that were bought for my 30D & S3 IS.

I've owned San Disk, Lexar and others. I bought two lesser known 8GB cards for my 5d

(from New Egg as it happens) for about $130 when everyone else was getting $450 or so.

They were and are as fast and reliable as the high end 4gb and smaller cards I had. I've

added a couple of additional PQIs from NEgg.

I've had two bad experiences with cards, both resulting in a total loss. One was a Lexar

which turned out to be a not common problem with Lexar and some Canons. I didn't lose

anything of consequence, but that was a case where I would gladly have swapped a cheapo

for the Lexar.

The other loss on a not-major brand 8GB was far more serious. The card was full although

partially backed up. I would still strangle the Paris cab driver who took off with it and a

couple of other things. Unusual for Paris.

<i>Cheap memory is more likely to corrupt, and that's not a myth.</i><p>

If it's not a myth, then give a reputable source on this.<P> It seems that the semiconductor industry treats Sandisk as a fabless company, despite Sandisk's efforts to appear as a manufacturer. Sandisk chips are manufactured in Toshiba plants. Other companies use Toshiba chips, including some of the "cheap memory" companies.

"Just go Sandisk. Cheap memory is more likely to corrupt, and that's not a myth. Nothing

more frustrating than getting home from a shoot to find you have no pictures due to a

corrupted card."

Evidence?

I sure haven't found that to be true. I've used a variety of cards (perhaps 10 in all) from

various sources ranging from no-name cards from reliably vendors to Sandisk, et al. No

problems with any of them and I can't tell the difference in any other way - e.g. camera

speed, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, many of these cards a produced by the same factories and resold

under many different names.