R-Elmarit Macro 60mm Canon-mounted

Hiya,

Andre, your getting a little confused. Mounting it on a DSLR with an APS-C sensor makes no difference of any sort. All that means in essence is that you are using the centre portion of the image. It does nothing to alter the close focussing ability of the Leica lens. To alter that you will need a Leica extension tube/ring, no matter what camera you use the lens on.

cheers Steve.

Humm...I thought all of this because of this lens Canon launched for the EF-S series...I'm considering the Leica because of the lens quality and the fact I can still use (along with the 35mm Elmarit I have) on full frame bidies in the futere.

From BH web site:

The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM is the first true Macro lens in the EF-S series. This dynamic, compact, fast-focusing lens provides dramatic detail that goes beyond the human eye. Having an effective focal length of approximately 96mm in 35mm format, it produces life-size close-up results. With capacity to reproduce an image on the sensor that is as large as the subject itself, you take your audience inside a magnificent miniature world.

Designed specifically for digital photography, the lens has specially shaped lens elements with Super Spectra coatings to suppress ghosting and flare, which can be caused by reflections off a digital camera sensor. An exclusive optional lens hood (ET-67B) further reduces the incidence of flare.

Note: Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras or digital cameras with image sensor bigger than APS-C size, only fits on the EOS Digital Rebel series or 20D & 30D SLR cameras.

it goes to 1:2 by itself. You'll get a similar picture in equal-size prints with 60mm 1:2 on a 1.6x body as you would with a 100mm 1:1.25 macro on a full-frame body. Optical magnification ratio doesn't change, as the sticklers are always eager to point out, but 'effective magnification' does. however I predict you'll take a lot of abuse from the slide rule crowd for ignoring theoretical principles, when surely all you want to do is take pictures...

No . The focus helical is not long enough to get to 1;1 with any size sensor or camera. You need an extension tube to get from 1:2 to 1:1.

1:1 on APS size sensor is an area 16x24mm and on a full frame is 24x36mm. The amount of lens extension on either body is the same for 1:1.

What will be different is you will be further from the same size subject with a smaller sensor camera.

One thing to consider is that you will have to open the lens up to focus and compose and then stop it down to shoot (if you shoot at small apertures as most macro does). If your subject is fleeting like an insect, it could be a problem. Also, you will probably need to do some testing to find the right metering because many people, self included, have found that uncoupled lenses tend to meter ok at wide apertures but the exposure goes further off as you stop down, and a lot of macro gets done at f/22-32.

Andre,

The Canon 50mm and 100mm macro lenses are excellent and they offer you the full automation of the EF line. They are priced quite reasonably. I use and have used Leica R for some time. My 50mm EF macro lens is one of the best lenses I own. I just don't see the point of struggling with the admittedly excellent Leica R optics on EOS cameras. Horses for courses. Try the Canon macro offerings. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.<div>00LhHq-37220284.jpg.7863ac144d00d38ccf70c9978ab61726.jpg</div>

Gil:

You certalinly has a point. The advantage I see in the Leica macro is really the contrast. Though I know the Canon macros are very good,I recently started testing a 35mm Elmarit and made tests comparing it to de 17-35 2.8L and the 50mm 1.4. The first one cannot really be compared. VERY much behind. The second is an excellent lens,but I was surprised with the better contrast the Elmarit gave me. And for macro work,autofocus is meaningless. And yes,I admit there's some charm in it...

(8-)

The crop factor doesn't do anything to the reproduction ratio. The reproduction ratio is the

relationship between the object size and the image size. What the crop factor does is throw

away part of the image so that a smaller object area is recorded on the smaller sensor. The

ratio between the two is unchanged.

Hi,

Dear Andy Radin, I answered the Q posed by the OP perfectly correctly, as has been pointed out by more than one poster, so before you throw stones at the 'slide rule crowd' next time, I suggest you get your facts correct first, before you look a fool again..

cheers Steve.