Can I use a Billingham bag as a general holdall?

mark saunders

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Billingham 335 for my gear. I also need a bag to

carry books as I will shortly begin college after work. My question is; can

the inserts be removed from the 335 and if so could I fit maybe 2-3 books in

there? If not I may need an alternative although I'm pretty set on the 335.

Many thanks if anyone can answer this.

M

My older 335 has a removable insert in the main compartment but it's an 'egg box' construction so not really suitable for frequent removal/replacement. I believe the later design has foam cells with Velcro to connect them and so is more robust.

If you don't put anything in the outer compartment's pockets, you can easily get a 1000 page reference book in there - I've done it several times. Be warned that the thing can be a bit unwieldy and won't make you too popular on crowded public transport if you swing it from your shoulder. That's where the hand grips come in useful.

:-)))

I have a 555 and it has one big compartment in the middle and comes with three loose inserts that attach with velcro to the walls and to each other. They can easily be removed and the bag used for any other purpose. Indeed, it is a little too big to fill with camera gear and I have been using it as travel bag more than as a camera bag. I suppose the smaller ones (225, 335) are the same.

Update; i took a look at several bags including the 335, Domke F2 and LowePro Pro Mag. Why is it so $?**!@ difficult?!

The Billingham, while very good, was fiddly for me to open (i have big hands). The Domke F2 was good too but too small for my gear and those metal clips are hard to open in a hurry (weddings will be the main use). The LowePro looked good on the web but was too small!

Any suggestions please? i need to fit in 2 bodies (D2X + D200) with probably the 70-200 and 17-55 attached, plus 85/1.4 and 50mm and batteries, sb800.

Main criteria: not too obviously a camera bag;

waterproof or very resistant;

fits in all the above;

easy access for carrying and opening at weddings;

removable inserts to carry books for college.

If it can only fit one DSLR with lens attached and the other body without this would be acceptable.

thanks