Carl Zeiss ZK lenses for Pentax?

ulrich_ploedereder

Hi,

Zeiss & Pentax do have a history...

In the early 1970's when Zeiss were wanting a partner to develop the Contax RTS system, they first 'got into bed' with Pentax (before they joined up with Yashica), but very few people remember this.

The partnership only lasted about a year and they jointly developed a few lenses and also the Pentax K mount came out of this...is it any coincindence the Pentax K mount is virtually identical to the Contax C/Y mount?

cheers Steve.

From a Google translation:

"Besides to remember the optical quality and mechanical precision that characterize to the objectives of Carl Zeiss, Rodolfo Biber clarifies that these new objectives with mount K are compatible with standard SMC-A and that, therefore, can work with the automatism of speed and diaphragm of the body of the camera."

I assume this means these lenses will be "A" compatible. Sounds good.

Hi,

"Since the register of Pentax K mounts and the Contax Mount are already almost identical, what happens when you try to mount a Contax lens onto a Pentax camera? Do they fit, can they work together?"

Nope...the important part of your Q is: "almost" idenical.

cheers Steve.

Actually, when you include film thickness on the Pentax it is identical. I suppose I was really asking what is the mechanical coupling mechanism of the CZ lenses like in comparrison to Pentax?

Might it be possible to swap the mount from an old Pentax lens and exchange it for a CZ one and thus use the CZ lens on a Pentax body?

Hi,

"Also the one lens that has a stellar reputation from CZ - the 21/2.8, which costs a heap of money even secondhand AND is v hard to get hold of, seems to be the one lens they are not producing. I wonder why that is."

Robert..actually, there are more than one superb Contax C/Y lens which they have so far failed to make in the new ZS & ZF mounts, but everyone just harps on about the 21/2.8 all the time..

they forget about the also fabulous Zeiss 28/2, 28/2.8, 45/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/2.8, 100/2 and others..the 28/2 and 100/2 in particular are just as well thought of in Contax circles as the 21/2.8.

Why Zeiss have not introduced the 21/2.8 in ZF yet is a mystery though, but marketing stratedgy never was the strongest suit of Zeiss...

cheers Steve.