My wife came across this camera at an estate sale. From the serial number,

128801, I found, from a Leica website, that this is a Leica III made in 1934.It

is black all over, including the top,except for the knobs, which appear to be

chrome, or brass - I don't really know.

I'm not a camera collector and I afford McKeown's Price Guide just to look up

the value range of one camera.

Having said this, I would really appreciate if someone could give me a rough

idea of what the collectible value might be for this leica III? I have attached

a small jpeg photo of the thing - I do have over views as well.

Oh, and it came with a leather Leica camera case that is in very good condition.

Best regards,

Dan Beaudry

Camera around $300. The Summaron lens about $200. That's from looking at eBay completed auctions. That's if you sell yourself on eBay, less listing and final value fees. It also depends a lot on the reputation of the eBay seller, and how much camera gear they sell. It even depends on the quality of the photographs in the listing.

The realized price depends a LOT on fine details of the condition, it looks like your paint is in nice shape, but the chrome is worn (by the case). We have no idea if the lens is clean, dirty, hazy, or scratched. (Be warned that it is easy to make the lens worthless through inept cleaning!)

Selling over the counter to a dealer, a lot less. They in turn will sell them on eBay, or for even more over the counter.

Dear Dan,

First, could you remove the lens and image the interior of the camera as well as the front and rear of the lens. For most vintage Leicas, the body and lens are generally considered separately. At least you can get a rough approximation of the value of each. Thanks.

David

If you have any interest in photography I would recommend that you hang onto it. It is much sought after and I have been looking for another to match the one I have had for years. If you should decide to part with it please contact me. I will pay a fair price if it meets my needs. Thanks, Dan

Dan, Can you post the Ser# for the Summaron. Although the body is pre war, the lens may or may not be a match as the Summaron 35 lens was made in quite large numbers. I'd go back to the estate sale and see if there are any small Leica goodies like a lens hood, other lenses that may have been overlooked. Also possible this item is a WWII war souvenir.

Hi all,

John, David, Dan & Chris: thanks for the constructive feedback. The Leica Summaron Lens SN# is 1158547.I have determined that my Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f3.5 wide angle lens dates from 1954.

I have posted more photos of the camera at this link:

http://www.pbase.com/dansnaturephotos/leica_iii

I will take more photos of the camera, as suggested, without the lens, as well as some of the Summaron lens, and post them to my link, early next week (the cottage beckons). I'll take a closer look at the lens to see how "clean" it is. But I won't try to clean it up, for fear of doing more harm thean good. Anything else I should consider? Regards, Dan

The silver areas on the camera are nickel plated which is duller and warmer in tone than the chrome plated lens which is - as your other responders say - post war. It would be great to see some more views of the camera and the lens. Some closeups of the body would help show its condition. As to value that depends on condition which appears to be slightly battered from the top plate picture shown. Certainly its true that the items may have more values separately although the case helps. If this is of the same age as the body, fine. if not it probably has a greater value as a separate item. The early black leicas - having been made in smaller quantities than the chrome ones - tend to have higher value.

Check the shutter for accuracy and positive action. If it feels and sounds strong thats great. If it feels weak and slows down then it has probably been stored for many years with the shutter fully wound which has weakened the main spring. The good news is that leicas of any age can still be serviced. The bad news is it costs.

Leica lenses have unbelievable sharpness but tend to exhibit very poor contrast as they age and give soft results. These can be pleasing but you have to live with the limitations.

I have 2 vintage leicas - a black II (D) from 1933 with original 3.5 elmar and a chrome III also from 1933 with a marked f2 summar. In both cases I have had the shutters refurbished. They are beautiful to hold and use - fitting perfectly in the hand.

I recently purchased a new voightlander bessa T 35mm rangefinder camera which can take either M or screw series leica lenses. The excellent 35mm skopar that came with it is a screw fit and i intend

to try it on the leicas. So - if you want to obtain new lenses for the camera this option is available.

The above post concerning the 35 Summaron is correct it is entirely a post WWII development. Makes you wonder where the original lens is. The case is of some interest as early Leica's were slightly shorter than later Leica thread mount bodies. If the camera slips tightly into the case with no gap at the ends, it may be the original case and not one for a later longer length thread mount body. The case screw that mounts into the camera baseplate should thread in and hold the camera body tight to the bottom of the case. The screw size changed from large to small over the years, so be careful when you try to thread the body to the case and don't force it.

The camera body looks in quite nice shape with very little edge brassing and just needs a clean. Watch out for abrasive dirt, especially around the shutter release. The paintwork probably has a lovely finish. Not sure of the best way to gently clean nickel parts

I've taken more photos of the camera and the accessories that came with it and have posted them at this link:

http://www.pbase.com/dansnaturephotos/leica_iii

The shutter works well and I can see the curtain zip by when I press the shutter button. The slow speed dial seems to work - it does affect the speed of the curtain. The Summaron lens is clear, no fogging. The Hektor lens has very light fogging,not immeidately evident unless you look closely.

Note small crack on top plate of camera between last two digits of the SN. This is the only obvious imperfection I have seen.

Dan, whole new ball game here. The accessories. especially the Summar lens hood and box, are leica collectibles and have value. Even the boxes are valuable, especially as yors appear to be in good shape. The fact that a Summar hood is in the kit makes me wonder what happened to the Summar 50 f2.0 lens. A Summar 50 f2.0 would have been contemporary with the body.