silverfast SE or Ai with 5400 II

What don`t you like about KM 5400 software? I find it intuitive, complete, and it will make my negs scan any way I want them. You must spend considerable time with the instructions as they are for all model scanners and they do not go step 1.2.3.4. They tend to skip around.

I have a cheap Silverfast that came with my Epson 4870. It is a nightmare in my opinion. But then I can use the Epson software without a problem and all kinds of people complain about it.

Look at Vuescan before you spend a lot of money on Silverfast.

Since you scan, give Neat Image a look. It is amazing at getting rid of grain and noise.

I'm not in love with the Minolta software either, but it's not bad. With the right settings you can achieve most of what you need to do. And, I'd second Vuescan Pro as the next choice.

Why don't you try downloading the Silverfast AI demo. I tried it, and found the interface a little confounding. That can be the case with any new software, but still my first impression was that it is an awkward program. Pricey too, and has to be bought for a specific scanner (versus Vuescan Pro's lifetime license, for any scanner).

SilverFast is defintely the ticket. Made a significant difference for me over the Minolta software. I tried Vuescan and found it no better than the Minolta. You do have to be a bit more intuitive for some of the SilverFast functions, but all worth it IMO. Damn shame it won't transfer to other scanners, though.