Which are the MF cameras with Built in meter?

simus

I have lookded around but seems most of the 6X6, 6X7 MF cameras have not a built in meter.

Does anybody knows which camera has it lightmeter for fast operation like aperture priority and so on?

Thanks for looking,

Antonio

Hi Antonio -- Could you narrow your choices a bit, and tell whether you're interested in an SLR type or rangefinder type? I think all the modern RF cameras have meters except for the big 670 and 690 Fujis. With SLR cameras it's often a matter of choosing a viewfinder prism that has a meter built in.

Most of the Rolleis, the Hasselblad 200-series (with exception of the 202 FA) and all Hasselblad H-series cameras, the Pentax 645, Mamiya 645 AF, and most rangefinder cameras.<br>Most other do offer TTL-metering using a prism finder with meter inside, with varying degree of automation.

Thank you for your answer. Anyway I would like to buy a 6X6 or 6X7 with interchangeable

lens, magazine, built in lightmeter and the possibility to have aperture priority. I could go

under 1200 $, lens and included.

Antonio

Many have coupled light meter, even a TLR like the Yashica Mat 124G and it is fairly fast to use.

But if you want Aperture Priority and some automation, the choice is limited and costly in 6x6 and above (mostly some modern Rollei).

Take a look instead at a few 645 slr where you find models closer to 35mm experience, like Pentax 645 and later Mamiya 645.

Mamiya 7 (Mark 1 and mark 2) both have a built in lightmeter. They are easy to use but some people (myself included!) find it difficult to become familiar with using a rangefinder. However, once you get to know them you will not be parted from them.

I should also say that I think that the len's for the Mamiya 7 are among best available. With the advent of digital there are now a lot of Mamiya 7's available second hand. I have two.

<i>"I don't know why someone is suggesting Hasselblad V series. I can't think of any with built-in metering."</i><br><br>Why i did so?<br>Because, although you do not know about them, there certainly are some with built-in meter.<br>You might have 'guessed' that: the particular models were named too... ;-)

Thank you very much for your help. Anyway I think I'll wait a little more trying to understand

which of them is the best option. I think, anyway i'll go for a 645 which seems to be more

similar to a 35mm.

Antonio

Antonio,<br>

the Rollei SL66-E and Rollei SL66-SE have both an exposure meter inside the body.<br>

Exposure reading is simple and fast, using 5 LEDs : two red lights (at least one EV under- or over-exposed), two yellow lights (about 1/2 EV under- or over-exposed), and a green light showing correct exposure.<br>

The measurement system consists of four cells on the mirror for average center weighted measure and a fifth cell for TTL flash metering. (Like the Pentax 6x7, synchro speed is 1/30s, but the SL66 system has also two leaf shutter lenses, 80 and 150mm and all speeds can be used).<p>

IMO, you do not need aperture priority : a semi-automatic system is easier to use, and probably as fast as the aperture priority system.<br>

The SL66-SE has a sixth cell for spot metering, offering about a 3 degrees metering angle with 80 mm. This camera can be compared to the Hasselblad 200x.<br>

It's really a great camera, using Carl Zeiss lenses, from 30mm to 1000mm.<br>

Otherwise, these cameras are fully manual, as the battery is only used for the metering system.<p>

What I like with these cameras having the metering system inside the body is that a folding viewing hood can be used <u>with</u> exposure metering.<br>

A heavy metering prism is not needed, unlike Hasselblad 500, Pentax 67 and many Mamiyas. Of course, you can use a prism, but it is much lighter, because the metering system is not inside.<br>