photosbycasey

I rented this lens for the week end, I brought it to the zoo, and shot with it

around the house. It is mounted on my 20d. Here is one of my favorite shots of

the day.

http://photosbycasey.zenfolio.com/p439722203/?photo=h080CFB03#135068419

Has anyone shot with this lens much? The posted reviews to me are to generic, I

would like to hear, from some people who shoot wildlife photography, as their

favorite subjects. Thanks in advance..

Its a wonderful lens for wildlife if you are lucky to get a sharp one. depending upon how serious you are, you can weigh your options in your budget. It gives me quite good results. It is my walk around now. I shoot hand held (dont own a tripod yet) I am comfortable with the weight. some say its too big n heavy. I dont feel that way(may be I am used to it. but even in the beginning I didnt think it was heavy). of course its an individual preference. I shoot only wild life. I would love L glass but thats when I have enough money to buy a 600mm. Any amount of reach is not enough for wild life(IMO).

I would say If you could stretch a bit go for canon. but the versatality this sigma offers is absolutely uncomparable. I dont want to into the technical discussions you can have a look at any good review. try it out again for a sharp edition. (make friends at your local shop). then decide for yourself.

It's a great lens. I did about 2000 pics with it and feel happy with the results. Although I got the 100-400 L IS, the 50-500 is a keeper for me.

If the wild is rapidly moving and/or the light is low : that's where faster lenses and/or IS comes in ....

The weight prevents you from leaving it behind without noticing ;-)

I've had the 50-500 for over a year and probably over 10,000 pics. It's very good given the limitations. My shooting is mostly birds, where the extra reach helps. My 20D with the bigma is able to keep up with little warblers that don't sit still, often in less than ideal light.

I had this lens for about a year, I eventually sold it on ebay. It focuses relatively fast but I wasn't happy with the performance at the long end. I strive for really sharp photos and for me this lens couldn't do it. My dream lens is the Nikon 200-400 f4 but I can't afford it right now.