Self-3-camming?

Hi!

I don?t know, if this has been discussed, search gave me no results, but I?d

like to know if anyone has ever converted a 2cam lens to a 3cam by him/herself!

If so, I would appreciate to learn how! What do you need, what to you have to

be aware of and so on ...

The lens I want to convert is a 2,8/35mm lens which is 2cam.

Thanks in advance,

Stephan

I had all 2-cam lenses with my SL2 but when I added an R7 I had (well, preferred) to have them converted. It was a while ago (at that time the 3rd cams were still made of metal, someone told me now they are plastic)but if I'm not hollucinating, I remember the repair gal saying she had to drill and tap holes for the 3rd cams. It cost me all of $50 a lens and she cleaned and adjusted them for nothing. If you need to drill and tap, I'd think you'd get brass shavings down into the works if you didn't at least take the lens apart. Wish I could be more helpful.

It is no big deal to drill or grind on a lens mount without disassembly. All that is necessary is that the glass be protected and open seams be sealed with tape. The amount of dross generated is inconsequential. Of course it depends upon the location of the work and obviously some locations might prove complicated, but work on the flange of the mount would not seem to be an issue. Many a Summicron C has had its cams altered without complications!

I would not try the drilling/tapping route without some means of ensuring that no shavings

get into the works because bearings for the inner aperture ring (the piece you'd be drilling in

to) are right next to the holes you're drilling and the least bit of shavings in the bearings will

slow the aperture mechanism causing over-exposure in most cases. Some people have

epoxied a metal tab onto the 2nd cam to add partial 3rd-cam function but you'd have to do

this quite accurately to get accurate meter readings, and this will not add the second step of

the cam which enables shutter-priority and program modes on some bodies.

Hi and thanx!

I hoped it would be easier! Just glue some kind of selfmade iron staircase on to the 2nd cam.

But if I find a repairman who does it for me for 50$/?, then I would have it done, no question at all.

Next step: Search a cheap service/ repairman.

Greets,

Stephan