I have two M6 bodies; I use one for b+w film and the other for chrome. On the

back of my 1772xxx the engraving says "Leica GMBH Germany", and on the back of

the 2184xxx it says "Leica Camera"

"Made in Germany"

Wouldn't they both have been made by a GMBH company? Just curious on a very

cold and rainy day.

Thanks,

Paul Nelson

Why the interest? What to do when it is pissing down rain and cold as hell. Sit and clean and play with my gear.

Thanks for the page with the differences. I'm not sure the older one was made in Wetzlar, as it was made in 1989, not 88. Also, I have never seen one with Leica GMBH Germany engraved on the back of the top plate. It does have the embossed "made in Germany" on the side of the back door.

cheers, PN

Sorry, Paul, I was generalizing based on a vague memory of the move. John's advice is good, as this information is very easy to find upon doing Internet searches. Cameraquest is an excellent site for the history of Leica and many other cameras. It seems that, upon looking at a book, your earlier model is a chrome M6 made just after the move to Solms. The markings may be different as they are transitional--just a guess on my part.

In response to the OP, no, the later camera was *not* manufactured by a GmbH. Leitz was a GmbH (Gesellschaft mit beschr䮫ter Haftung). The entity that emerged after a reorganization and recapitalization was an AG, or Aktiengesellschaft. Not that it matters much to the picture... ;-)