bride won't pay full balance

liz_menard1

Thanks for all the advice and insight! So this was a unique situation and I always require a deposit when the contract is signed, so don't take me for a fool! I think I will allow her to send me a 2/3 payment, I will wait for the check to clear, send her the storybook album, and then hold the hi-res disc ransom until she sends me a check for the rest and that clears as well. Some people are just ridiculous I suppose, no matter what the business, everyone is looking for that freebie in the fine print!!

I hope all works out for you and it certainly may do so. Paul is right, your deviation from the contractual terms may destroy any remaing protections you had in it as well causing practical consequences with client control in general. All of which is discussed above.

If you are going to modify the terms and obligations of your contract (which is what you are doing), then at least get the modification in writing. It would be best that the new terms have their own independent contractual elements such as an exchange of value on both sides.

Hi Liz,

Like you when I started I always demanded full payment two weeks prior to shooting a wedding.

Then after a while in the business I sat down and looked at how I could improve the wedding section of my business and one aspect that stood out like a sore thumb was the way my contract demanded this payment.

Now I demand A) a deposit B) a further payment two weeks prior to the day itself & C) the balance when the couple receive their album

What I have found is that more couples are happy with this arrangement as they are already cash strapped from having to pay so much upfront that no one every queries my contract. In addition by the time I have shoot the wedding I am happy that I have received enough money for the days work along with the pc work that follows to generate the DVD that I supply of their proofs, thus if they never come back for their album I have made my wages. (as for the DVD, it is generated by using a software package that will not allow the viewer download their own shots)

Then the final payment always covers the cost of the album, photographs and a little extra profit for me the Mrs and my local bar...!

As for your current problem, to be honest I would possibly request that she pay you enough that you are happy that you will not loose any money should she not pay the balance while at the same time tell her that the balance is due in cash when you give here the album.

That way the worst thing that will happen to you is that you will have learnt a hard lesson, that you will not forget next time you get a last minute booking.

Remember as the marketing fraternity will tell you, do something good and a couple of people will hear about it, do something sh1tty and more than 7 people will hear about it, and if they are displeased with what they hear then they in turn will tell another 7 people..!

Hope that this helps