.super wide lens.

pacha mama photography

I have the Tokina 12-24. It is rugged, well built, and doesn't distort too, too much. But, it has much more CA than I thought it would. I also sometimes wish for wider.

If I was doing it again, I might opt for the Sigma. Except, I originally picked the Tokina over the Sigma because the Sigma is variable aperture -- yuck (it is less than f/4 max almost immediately beyond 10mm)! And, also, because I felt it was less robustly built. Plus I had a very badly made Sigma 70-300mm lens that has marred that company's reputation in my mind forever.

Juanjo is very enamored with his fisheye zoom. I think it would be cool to have, too, but

for purposes of clarification on this thread (in case it's used by someone for reference in

the future), there is a very big difference between a fisheye with its inherent curved line

distortion (Juanjo's very nice photo above is a GREAT example of this) and an ultrawide

zoom which attempts to keep straight lines straight. The purposes of the two of those

lenses are not the same, and they complement each other nicely, too..

Many fewer "fisheye" lenses are bought and used than wide-angle, because it is generally

considered a special effect. So, Juanjo, I would have kept both Tokinas, as I think

eventually you will want to take an undistorted super-wide shot, and now don't have the

lens for it. (Although, for many purposes, once there is a correction profile for this lens

built into DXO, it might serve both purposes.)

Be careful of buying a fisheye if you really want a super-wide zoom. They are very

different. I myself had a fisheye years ago with film, finally got rid of it, only ever used it

for one photo that I felt was worth keeping... ymmv of course...