peter_jarmuda

I recently bought brand new 5D and after 2700 pictures I get this black frame

around the image. This happened for about 9 consecutive shoots and then it

stopped on its own.

Schould I be concerned about it? I keept on schooting that wedding and there

were no more blurbs like that.

On this image I used 24-105L/Is lens

Thanks for your help.

Peter Jarmuda<div>00LeYy-37157684.thumb.jpg.ee43baf745c418b658530d90eedcfd44.jpg</div>

Thats some pretty bizarre vignetting. I have never seen anything like it. Have you tried the camera with diffrent lenses? I know I am probably wrong but I would try that first before I send the camera in under warranty. Either way, something is definetly wrong.

You may have just knocked the lens hood crooked - I did this once with my 17-40 and got

almost the exact same results. Thought I had a busted shutter at first! See if you can re-

create it by turning the lens hood out of the locked position.

Definitely the lens hood! I get this too often. I'm starting to tape the hood in place using

gaffers tape. Dials and buttons too. I bounce around on a boat all day (no complaints!) so

hoods, buttons, dials, are constantly getting whacked. Then I notice the problem 50, 100,

200 shots later. I'm starting to wise up and get stuff taped down. Good luck and have fun!

Hi,

I've had a 5D for a good while now. I experienced the same kind of fear when the camera was new. Then it occurred to me that all of the reviews state you need a really good (no great) lens. I found the one sure way to combat the vignetting is to stop down the aperture at least one or two stops from maximum wide-open. If you need to open the aperture all the way use Camera Raw's vignetting control to de-vignette the photo.

Enjoy your 5D

I know I have.

Joe

Stopping down is a cure for vignetting within the lens (due to the lens barrel obstructing the fully open aperture or due to fourth power cos law fall off toward the image corners): however it will merely emphasize a skew lenshood, bringing it into sharper focus.

Definitely the lens hood, Peter. I got my new 5D just a week ago so have taken fewer than 100 pictures. Then I had exactly, but exactly the same thing as you, especially on the widest end of my 24-105. The hood which clicks into place tends to rotate slightly when you put it back in your bag and the rest.....