Too much use of vignetting?

jeff_b.1

I remember when vignetting was something that you got from using cheap lenses or

using a good lens incorrectly. Today I am seeing all of these online slideshows

and albums with vignetting added to every shot in post production.

Hollywood uses this effect when they are simulating the shooters view through a

scope on a rifle. Maybe it would be good to use this only on photos of the groom :)

I think this detracts from most pictures. If you are not viewing the photos on

a 30 inch monitor I think it is very distracting. I am not old enough to have

cataracts but I feel like I have them after looking at a Show-it slide show with

75 photographs, all with vignetting.

Is it just me?

The addition of vignetting in the darkroom is an old technique to concentrate the image on the subject. I think if used judiciously, it can be something nice to have on a single picture in an album, but it sounds like that person over-used it to a fault.

Any special effect overused gets tiresome very fast and photographers who do it on almost every shot lack imagination or the ability to present a GREAT picture without the "help" of a special effect!

Whatever happened to using GREAT COMPOSITION to frame the shot and draw attention to the subject?

"Moderation in everything" is a very good philosophy in photography as well as in life!

Yep. Another case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I use a lot of vignette. I thinks it's a matter of personal preference and style. I've also been accused of under exposing my images. I think that a slightly under exposed image adds a certain richness to the colors.

Is it just you? Nah... You and about 50% of the people like you.

The bottom line is. If an effect sells photos, or sells me as a photographer, I'll continue to do it. I don't particularly like the "Selective Color" effect. But I still have brides ask me if I do that "part black and white part color thing". My answer is always "Of course I do, If that's what you like".

The world's best photographers sell their photos buy using the good old techniques of proper composition, subject matter, and proper lighting techniques.

We do very limited usage of special photoshop effects if requested by the client - i.e. one or two selective colorings per wedding - but our basic artistic vision is not dominated by one special effect available in photoshop. What "SELLS" our photos and our photographic business is proper composition and lighting that creates GREAT photos!

It is really too bad that some people prefer to rely on "photoshop skills" rather than photographic skills to sell photos. (not referring to anyone in this thread - just in some general trends that I have noticed in the market)

russ konrad

--It is really too bad that some people prefer to rely on "photoshop skills" rather than

photographic skills to sell photos. (not referring to anyone in this thread - just in some

general trends that I have noticed in the market)---

Are they relying on it or just delivering what the client wants? Photoshop is one more step

today, but if that's what the market wants/expects so be it.

Okay you win. I think I'll go back to dodging and burning with a real popsicle stick and a piece of cardboard with a hole in it. That's the way Ansel Adams did it so I'm sure thats okay.

Or better yet. Maybe I'll just send it to all to Wal-mart and let the "professional lab techs" handle all the complicated stuff for me.

Geez!! By all means get the photo right in the camera. But my creativity doesn't end the moment the shutter is snapped. If a photo can be enhanced by curves, exposure adjustment, saturation change or even a vignette, my customers will appreciate my efforts.

Mark, I agree with your point of "shoot it right first, then if some post gives it a boost, great." Man, you made me laugh though with the popsicle sticks and holey cardboard. I'm so glad I don't have to do darkroom acrobatics to get a few neat effects anymore.