I'm trying to decide which scanner to buy .

I'll scan mainly slides ( 90% velvia and provia ) and some negatives.

I've read different magazines reviews and my shortlist is

plustek 7200i

nikon coolscan 5000 ( V ED )

hp scanjet G4040

epson v700-7500

Can anyone provide suggestions about them ?

Is there another model/brand which can be more appropriate ?

thanks

Unless you are scanning larger than 35mm, the Nikon 5000 is likely the best. I owned the older LS-40, 2900 dpi scanner and it did excellent work. My 11x14 prints look as good or better than darkroom prints. I now use a Nikon 9000 for 6x6 and 6x7 film, mostly black and white and it is an amazing device but may be out of your price range at close to $2k.

I know nothing about the Plustek or the HP. I have tried the Epson with medium and large format film and it did a decent job but it may be over kill for only 35mm use.

Good luck.

Eric

I doubt you'll find a meaningful Plustek review other than in one popular photography magazine in GB. Unless you like something specific about Epson/HP/Canon, your only alternatives are Nikon V and 5000 at different prices.

Sorry, Rick,

"scans at 7200dpi"... Most scanners can scan at double their true value, via INTERPOLATION... Since there isn't a standard like ISO, manufacturers can pretty much claim what they want. Here's my comment regarding another one of the supposed 7200dpi scanners...

The scanner in question (Pac. Image PrimeFilm Pro3) comes with a few valuable sw's, no doubt. One can always use ICE. Close to impossible, however, to get the lowdown on the CCDs employed. Info nowhere to be found. Because of the 3.6 dyn range value, I suspect this scanner to be a 'true' 3600... Everything else probably interpolation. Other scanners (like the 7200 dpi Plustek) have been shown by independent testers to have a true dpi of 2900. The rest is probably interpolation.

When manufacturers hide certain tech specs, it becomes only legitimate to suspect HYPE...

Atually, non eof the scanners mentioned, with the exception of the 5000, scan at over 2250

spi. The Pulsteks and HP scanners are not really very good. The V700 and 750 do fine with

large format but will not gice you much in the way of results for 35mm. The Dmax of all of

these ... real numbers again is in the range of 2.2 to 2.5.

Hi all ,

thanks for all comments.

As per the scan capabilities both epson v700 and plustek 7200i specs say that they are capable of higher "HW" scan resolution than the 4000 dpi of coolscan .

Epson v700 spec also mention a dmax 4.0 is that true ? How good is it , comparing to nikon's ?

Thanks