SDHC - What a plonker...!

woodbyte

So I made the trip to the shops today to buy some more memory cards. Invested

in a four gb CF card and two times four gig SD[hc] cards.

Camera in question EOS ID mkii N.

So I get home open all three and find the SDHC cards don't work. Do a little

search on internet and find I am not alone. Visually there is little to tell

them apart from standard SD cards.

So I'll go back to the shop cap in hand next weekend to see if they'll refund

or I can swap to std SD cards, unless some of you guys tell me Canon are likely

to issue a fimrware update to allow aforementtioned camera to use them. (or

maybe it never will be able to?)

thanks for your comments

james

<p>According to Sandisk, <a href="http://www.sandisk.com/sdhc/SDHC.pdf">SDHC cards are not compatible with devices designed for SD cards</a>. The <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC">SDHC section of the Wikipedia article on SD</a> has a bit more info. Both make it clear that devices designed for SD will not work with SDHC. The packaging for SDHC cards really ought to have similar warnings but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are buried deep in the fine print.</p>

I think it's a bit more complex that that, Leopold. SDHC is a different protocol from plain SD. I assume it would be possible to manufacture an SDHC card of size 2GB or less, and it still would not work in an SD-only device, and I believe there have been a few plain SD cards that are bigger than the 2GB limit in the official specification, and which will work in plain SD devices provided that they support FAT32. It is currently safe to assume that SDHC devices also support plain SD, as far as I am aware.

ci p

you hit the jackpot!

seems I should have checked further down the firmware route.

See here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06122001canonsdhcfirmware.asp

[dated 20-12-06 ]

I quote:

"Canon has today issued new firmware for the EOS-1D Mark II (ver 1.2.6), EOS-1D Mark II N (ver 1.1.2) and EOS-1Ds Mark II (ver 1.1.6). These updates deliver the same improvements to all cameras, support for SDHC cards of 4 GB and more as well as correcting the detected capacity of Compact Flash cards of 12 GB and more. These updates can be installed by the user by simply loading the update file onto a storage card and selecting the firmware update option from the camera menu."

I downloaded then uploaded to camera, and now it works no problem, recognising both 4gb SDHC cards.

thanks ci p and great (if anonymous) website you have there.

james

[[[ "thanks ci p and great (if anonymous) website you have there. "

DPReview? anonymous?!

Who's going to tell him - lol ]]]

HAPPY CHAPPY - sorry I should have more clear in my post. I meant ci p's website was great, which I checked out after he posted here, but appeared to me a little anonymous. I realise DPReview is not the work of ci p.

james