Battery Pack Question - can't find it in the archives!

meldell

Hey all,

A few months ago there was a thread regarding battery packs for your flash.

Someone had posted (Anne I think!) a link to a very affordable one and now I

can't find it!

Regardless,

What would you suggest, when I don't want to pay $400+ for a Quantum Turbo one!

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

Use AA rechargeables. The reason Quantum Turbos are worthwhile- and why they cost so much- is that they are high voltage power packs that give you instant recycling when you need to take numerous flash photos in a few seconds- like when the bride tosses the bouquet. There are good alternatives to Turbos- like Dyna-Lite Jackrabbits- but they are about equally expensive.

Panasonic and Yuasa make gell cell high voltage batteries. You will need a 6 volt system. You can get them in any size (amperage) a 1.2 amp will be more than sufficient to cover a complete wedding. The best place to get them is burgler alarm supply store. Should cost less than $10 and you will have to wire them yourself with an adapter for your flash, but will be very cheap, compared to quantum, which has the same battery inside. I make them myself and have never had problems. If you need more detail, contact me. Abe

Melissa, the only reason I'd lug the extra weight of a battery pack around for hours on end at an event is to get faster recycling times. If, for reasons passing understanding, I wasn't interested in faster recycling times, I'd use a couple of sets of AA rechargeables- cheaper and less weight.

Apples are not oranges and Al Jacob's Black Box is not a substitute for a Turbo. The "Black Box" may be a swell low voltage power pack, but it isn't a high voltage power pack, like a Turbo, and does not give instant flash recycling during the wedding when you need it- e.g. when you want to get three or four shots of the bride and groom kissing at the end of the ceremony.

One other thing- the operative term with a true high voltage pack is "high voltage." Unless you have some knowledge of electronics, I wouldn't cobble a system together- it isn't worth the risk of injury.