Multiple CF cards with Lightroom...

paul_fialon

I was just wondering how other phine phello photographers were handling the

initial copying, or importing, of images from multiple CF cards within

Lightroom. I usually come back from a wedding with a handful of cards and my

system has been to import each card into it's own separate folder, process the

images in LR and CS, then export the finished folder into another folder named

"Final". This system has worked for me but I'm always open for input to

something new(and maybe faster)! How do you handle multiple cards?

I choose "Custom + Sequence" as the filenaming method when I import. The Custom Part is "Mary_Wedding_Card1" and I start the sequence at 1000. (If you don't start the sequence at 1000 then things sort funny by filename).

I do this to eliminate duplicate filenames between cards or cameras. Then after all the sorting, culling, post processing, I do a batch rename in lightroom. Again I do it with "Custom + Sequence" but this time the custom part is Mary_Wedding_Formals and Mary_Wedding_Portraits. Then I upload the photos catagorically onto the proofing server.

The system is even more useful if you assign permanent numbers to each card (write the number on the card). Then if you find a problem with files, you know by the folder name which card is the culprit. But it is even more useful to use file names based on the exact exposure time, to the second, plus a (2-digit) sequence number from the camera. That way you can merge files from multiple cameras and sort everything in sequence. Just make sure the clocks are reasonably well synchronized. I'm not sure that Lightroom can do all of this; I found it too slow on downloads and decided to stick with Breeze Downloader Pro.

I import them into seperate folders by card and rename the files using "custom name-original file number". I rate each photo I want to use, edit as necessary, and export to seperate folders by pre-ceremony, ceremony, formals, reception. This is how I break them down in my Smugmug galleries. Since I use multiple cameras between me and my assistant, I sort the galleries by time (of course, making sure our clocks are in synch).

I like keeping the original file numbers because I also back up the original files from the memory card, so it makes it easy to go to the original if it's ever necessary. I can also add photos that I didn't originally use without interupting the numbering sequence.

When I rate the photos, I give everything I want to keep 1, 2 or 3 stars. Any exceptional ones that will go into the preview gallery get a 4 or 5. Then I show only 4 or better, re-evaluate, and create a favorites folder. They go online within a day and then I work on the rest.

Works for me. I love being able to rate, compare and edit in Lightroom. Great program!

Yes. Lightroom lets you sort by exposure time. No need to use exposure time as a filename. We always use the time exact time from our cellphones to syncronize our cameras. Cellphones usually have the exact time regardless of carrier.

Good idea about using the card number. I think I'll just start putting the card number in the metadata at import time.

I import the CF using DLer Pro, and put them into 1 directory, and have the program rename them to YYYY-MMDD-HHMMSS. This way I don't get any chance of duplicate names due to number sequence resetting. Then I pull them into LR.

I then back them up to CD/DVD and another HD.

From there, I go thru them in LR and immediately weed out the ones that are so bad they can't be fixed (of course, like everyone else here, we're so good that ALL of them are perfect.. right? hehe).

Then I go through the remaining ones and rate them 1, 3 or 5. 5 didn't make it past this round, 1 is definite keeper, 3 is, let me relook at it, it may stay, or go.

Once I have them set, I batch rename the #1's to YYYY-MMDD-sequence# starting at 0001 - end. And then copy this batch off to CD/DVD.

It sounds longer than the process really is but it works for me.

Work on them, tweak them, then the

Photo Mechanic will let you download multiple cards simultaneously from multiple card

readers (up to 4, I think). You can have it copy all the images to the same folder, while it

renames them all and takes care of duplicate filenames for you. It's also possible to copy

everything to 2 different locations so you have an immediate backup on a different hard

drive... I just load up the cards and let it go instead of babysitting each card individually.

It's really sweet and a nice time saver.

I am downloading at least two (sometimes three) different shooters work from up to 5 or 6

different cameras ( 2 or 3 shooters using DSLRs, digital rangefinders, and MF digital

backs).

All cameras are time synced, I then create a master desktop folder and download 4 CF

cards at once using daisy chained Lexar stackable readers, along with downloading 2 SD

cards using Sandisk USB-2 readers. Total wedding output is in the desk top master folder

with-in 10 minutes, usually less.

I then open that folder in Lightroom with the sort function set to "time shot". Lightroom

automatically loads the master file to the "Initial Edit Browser" in seconds ... which then

can be quickly edited for junk and duplicates before sending the remaining files to be

downloaded in the Lightroom Library. That Library download simultaneously creates a

back-up anywhere you want it ... in my case on a separate Wedding Hard Drive ... and you

can designate it to copy those back-ups as DNGs.

The Exif info will tell you what camera it was Greg.

After loading the master file, sorting by time shot and editing the junk, we renumber using a

three digit number starting with 001 ... so it is easy for the client to ID the shots they want

without the multi letter, multi number moniker on each file.