What to take to Greece

I'm going to be in Greece for a couple of weeks and want to be well equipped.

I'm thinking of taking 3 bodies and 6 lenses: asph 'lux 50 (for the mask of

Agammenon in Athens museum), 3.4 super angulon (theatre at Delphi), 28

summicron because it's recently acquired and I'd like to use it on my classic

M6., 4th version 35 'cron because there will be days when I want to travel

light, 75 'cron for close up portraits and finally another smaller 50 (elmar

would be ideal because it's light and generally there's going to be good light,

but I have a summicron that is much cleaner optically than my elmars.

Alternatives would be 90 elmarit or 135 tele elmar instead of the 75 'cron.

Bodies will be ss M3, classic M6 and MP.

Any thoughts?

One body to use, one for backup. Four lenses, 21 (or 28), 35, 50, and 90. You could proabaly get away nicely with only the 35, but that takes the fun out of having all those choices.<P>If I ever go back, I'll take either a Rollei TLR or a CL with 40 and 90.

Take lots of patience for inevitable travel holdups (don't rush, and expect big crowds and

heat at this time of year. Spring and autumn are nice times to visit, but at any time there's

plenty to photograph and enjoy.) Take lots of water! Dehydration is a real risk, especially if

you are lugging that much gear!

21 S/A ideal for Temple of Delphi and other sites, perhaps in prefence to 28 'cron, though

that would be a tough call. Asph Lux ideal for low light and portraits, obviously. 90 useful

for close-ups, eg the ladies holding who have been holding up the Parthenon for the last

2,500 years. Small tripod great for night shots of well-illuminated squares (Rhodes

brilliant if you get there).

I use my 21mm Elmar a lot for Greek ruins, and find it an excellent choice. I posted some

of my images from <a

href="http://richam.smugmug.com/gallery/2661909#140834377">Olympia</a>. I also

like shooting low light subjects/events, and the 21Elmar/50Lux combo did very well also,

with ISO 1600 rated film. Check the <a

href="http://homepage.mac.com/richam/PhotoAlbum107.html">Preveza Sardine

Festival</a>. A small tripod is very handy. I carry the little Leica minipod along

everywhere. I get almost all my film from a trustworthy dealer in downtown Athens, <a

href="http://www.photo-shops.com/eshop/catalog/default.php?

language=en">Fotobandw</a>. He also stocks refrigerated color negative film. Have a

great time here.

Just returned from london -18 days - (M6ttl with 35 1st, 90mm, Woca, D200)only wish was for 28 or 50mm occasionally so id go with 2 bodies (M6andMP b/c who wants to carry meter), 28 25, 50 and 90. one body color one b&w, 35mm and 50mm on bodies and then switch to other lenses. I think you will be suprised how you don't switch lenses that often. Bring more film than you will ever think of using.......

I wish I had your problem: a great trip planned and too many of the best awesome lenses to choose from, but even with my selection, it would be a tough choice because I just can't see carrying even all of what I have. I'm thinking 2 bodies with a lens on each and 1 extra lens, and no more. If you are comfortable closely approaching strangers, a 75 or 90 would be fine on the long end, but I'd probably want the 135 Tele-Elmar, especially for outside daytime, even if I didn't use the lens as much as the others.

In my experience the number of good pictures you get is in inverse proportion to the

amount of equipment you carry. Almost all the pictures in my <a href="http://

www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/72157594271568487/show/"><u>Bangkok

series</u> </a>were taken when

I carried only one camera and one lens. Less equipment leads to a looser shooting style,

which I value.

<p>

--Mitch/Potomac, MD

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can see the argument that less is more but would hate to be caught short. My compromise will be to limit myself to one or two lenses on any given outing but to have the full range available.

I once went to Paris with an Olympus mju, a Rolleiflex and an M3 with a 2.8 elmar. (mju in my pocket, 2.8 Rollei on my chest and Leica on my shoulder) Although this might seem burdensome,it really worked. But I was alone and won't be on this occasion.

I also always take the Leitz table-top tripod and my Pentax sportmeter.

I would say to leave behind one body of your choice because three is excessive, one 50 of your choice, and either the 35 or the 28. You certainly don't need a fully duplicative second 50 just to gain an option for when you want to "travel light". That's a bit like packing a five-pound backpack inside your seven-pound backpack so you can have more options during a long hike.

Alastair

You don't say when you're going.Will you have a car, and are you traveling independently ? At the moment there's a heat wave there, 37C - 44C in places, so if you are going very soon I'd travel as light as possible.When was the last time one of your Ms broke down ? I'd take one body and 21-35-90lenses, but of course only you can really answer these questions.

Bruno

I just got back from Italy. I took my IIIg with a 35 Canon 2.8, 50 collapsible Summicron and a 90 Elmar. I also took my Leitz table tripod and MR meter (for use hand held). I usually travel with way too much gear and forced myself to go as light as I thought I could.

I used the 50 for nearly 80 percent of the shots and the 35 for nearly all the rest. I only used the 90 for an indoor concert. On hindsight, I kind of wish I had taken my M2 as well. It has been a long time since I tried using an LTM as my only camera. I'm not as good as I used to be loading film into one quickly. My wife got frustrated with me a couple of times. It did force me to consider my shots more and not waste a lot of film. It was somewhat liberating and I laughed to myself when I saw quite few people lugging around DSLRs with huge lenses.

I'll be there in the heat: mid July.

I may or may not have a car. I won't be in a hotel. The gear will be safe enough when I'm not using it so I can take a full camera bag as my hand luggage. I'll simply have a big decision as to what to carry with me on any given day. The 3 bodies is simply because I enjoy using them all for different reasons. I love the M3 because I can focus it with both eyes open. The MP is the newest. It's a .85 so it beats the M3 with the additional frames for 35 and 75. The classic M6 has the 28 frame. And of course the M3 doesn't have a meter. 2 50mm lenses is because in all likelihood most of my shots will be taken with a 50 and the 'lux is a little unwieldly. It's a great lens, but the focusing is jerky. (I wish I'd known that they would produce a chrome version!) I really believe in it though for pictures in museums. I tend to favour slow film (reala)and flash, even if I decide to take it - there's another dilemma - isn't permitted.

Alastair, the specific accommodations for your equipment when you are not carrying it is clearly a very important parameter for your question. If you can have it all safe and sound in a home base while you plan excursions then maybe take it all. Then the question of what to use goes back to the fundamental question of what equipment essentially optimizes the M system experience strength, which I will not explore now.

On recent rip to Central America took M7 with 28mm/Elmarit-M and 50mm Summilux.

Did not miss my 35mm Lux Aspherical. Did miss a 21mm. Would have liked 90mm for a few shots.

Next trip two M cams and 21/28/50/90. [The 28 stands in for the 35].

For me, to much equipment is more often a problem than having left something back

home. It's to much choices - take a 21mm, or try a tele, mhhh, perhaps better check with

the 50 - oh dammit, the light has changed, the photo got away and I stand amidst the

most beautiful scenery holding a lens between my teeth and fiddling with a camrea and

two other lenses. More likely I end up myself on someone elses's pic as "the fool with to

much equipment" than making to many pics myself.

OK, that's just me, but with one camera and one lens (maybe two, but then very different

ones, like 28 and 90) I adapt to the limitations and concentrate on pics I can get with that

rig instead of constantly cycling through my gear.

Another issue for me is to much equipment means to much worry about where to leave it.

In the car? In the hotel? Under the restaurant table while I'm off to the bathroom? I feel

more comfortable with less gear that I can either afford to lose or have it comfortably near

me all the time.

That's why I would take two lenses, one body for using and one for backup, but I wouldn't

haul the second body around all day, rather leave it back in the room.

Same, BTW, accounts for film. 10 rolls of kodachrome (are they still making it?), 30 rolls of

different types of b/w film would make me fell of having always the wrong film in the

camera...

"OK, that's just me, but with one camera and one lens (maybe two, but then very different ones, like 28 and 90) I adapt to the limitations and concentrate on pics I can get with that rig instead of constantly cycling through my gear."

Smart.