how many formals?

imgnepc

How many poses do you try to squeeze in of the wedding party between the

ceremony and the reception?

I was recently at a wedding and it didn't seem like the photographer was able

to get many formal shots. Is this something you go over with the bride and

groom before hand? To find out how many shots they'd LIKE to have?

I ask because my wedding photographer didn't get as many as I'd have liked...

So I'm curious.

The problem is most b&g do not allow enough time between the ceremony and the reception to take formals. If formals are important to you, then you need to schedule enough time.

I can explain until I'm blue in the face, but sometimes the client just doesn't understand this, until after the wedding and they wish they had more formals.

I do go over what kind of formals they want. I also explain that the formals they want and the time frame they tend to give me, that I'll do what I can. It really depends on the couple.

So, I'm curious, how much time did you allow for photographs?

We have a pre-set "list" of formals that we will draw from if the b&g don't provide us with

any info.

<p>

-b&g w/ bride's family (parents, siblings and their spouses/children)

<br>-b&g w/ bride's family and grandparents

<br>-b&g w/ groom's family

<br>-b&g w/ groom's family and grandparents

<br>-b&g w/ entire wedding party

<br>-b w/ bridesmaids

<br>-g w/ groomsmen

<br>-b&g alone

<p>

That takes us about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the families and the

wedding party, whether or not everyone is there on time, and how well everyone pays

attention to instructions. :)

<p>

We will shoot more formal portraits upon request (lists are welcome). We ask the couple

to allow up to 5 minutes for each additional portrait grouping.

What is your idea of 'as many as I'd have liked'?

Did he miss certain people, or just not taking more pictures? You should have mentioned something to them at the time. I ALWAYS tell the couple, if you need a pic of anyone, or you think of something you want shot, just let me know, that's why I'm there.. to photograph for you.

Most photographers have a routine of doing formals after the ceremony (at least around here), and unfortunately, most of the time we have a limited amount of time to do it in.

We always schedule time BEFORE the ceremony for the formals. We usually start shooting formals 2 hours before the scheduled ceremony time.

The only formals after the ceremony are usually the bride and groom together - if she doesn't want him to see her before the ceremony.

My husband and I recently have tried to take control of this issue ourselves - everyone hates formals, and yet, while our style if photojournalistic, formals are still a must have.

So this is how we operate, and normally, all goes as planned:

1. We arrive at the bride and groom's for pre-ceremony shots - getting ready, sep. bridal party shots etc. After these fun shots, we move into immediate family shots if applicable: Bride with father, Bride with mother, Bride with mother and father etc. This takes 15 mins. Then after the ceremony, all we have to do is 'pop' either bride and groom into the other's family.

2. After ceremony formals, we take 30 mins for family portraits, 30 mins for the bridal party, and 30 mins for the bride and groom alone.

This is give or take a few minutes, depending upon how the day goes.

If there are elderly family members who cannot hold up to standing, heat, etc. we make time to get these formals back at the venue before the reception.

We too have a list we send out to our couples who email it back to us, complete with location and time, as well family members names and relationships, bridal party members, and picture requirements.

We have never taken longer than 2 hours for formals, and this includes travel time, round up, delays, etc.

this sounds fairly militaristic but allows more time to continue shooting in a manner we prefer... however, while my husband is the primary photographer for formals, and I follow the list and round people, I also capture candid moments in between.

Our system works very well.

Good Luck!

I do a little more than explain to the couple that we need enough time for formals. I provide a list of family/wedding party must have shots for them to tick off. I tell them to plan on 5 min. per group shot. I then look at what they are planning and make suggestions.

One is to do the bride portrait and the shots with her parents and girls before the ceremony if possible. The other is to suggest the reception start 1 hour (or more) after the end of the ceremony. Failing that, I'll suggest that the cocktail hour be 1 1/2 hours instead of 1 hour to allow time. On some occassions when the couple wants to spend some time at the cocktail hour after the family shots - they tell the caterer or food and bev person to start seating people for dinner AFTER the couple has been able to spend at least 15 min. mingling. I set the stage for this during the initial meeting where I ask how large the families are and where the ceremony is in relation to the reception and so on. If I can catch possible timing problems early on - it is easier to resolve.

I prefer to do the family and wedding party and couple shots after the ceremony when there is no tension and everyone is in the same place and therefore easier to assemble. The mood is joyful and everyone is relaxed. Dad is not thinking about his duties, the bride is not worrying about the flowers or if the musicians are going to show up etc. etc..

I too will collect as much info ahead of time at both our initial consultation and our final planning meeting about a month before where we go through the entire day hour by hour. I also ask a ton of questions - both to get a good feel of what is important to them and to prompt them to see how well things are planned out. This has helped to alleviate possible time crunches numerous times. I do solo w/family shots beforehand whenever possible, and saving the B&G together with family for after the ceremony. After ceremony I keep formals time to one hour unless they want extended time or an extra stop etc...I feel it's extremely important to be asking enough questions to really get a feel for their priorities so you can cover your bases properly....

My approach is very similar to Katies...formals are still big in our area...

I also have a wedding time line sheet that I go through with the bride...so she and I both have an idea of how things are expected to run....

The key I've found is to be flexible...and make sure the wedding party knows when they are expected for formals..once the best man split for the reception before any formals were done...Thank heavens it was close by and we sent someone to retrieve him!

I also give them a list of formals and request that they check any that are absolute must haves.

>>> How many poses do you try to squeeze in of the wedding party between the ceremony and the reception? <<<

None are `squeezed`.

However, as many as we have planned to do, are made, and usually with time left over for a Champagne.

The planning is done at the pre wedding meeting: usually about 4 weeks out.

Much like many above a `time line` showing minutes per shot is, in writing, in front of the Bride and Groom (and any other interested parties attending the meeting.

The bottom line is: the time management of all the photography and how it fits overall, is essentially the photographer`s responsibility: and it is all but useless leaving that management to the day of the shoot.

WW