Ahhhh!!! So many lens out there!!! Please help me?

pauline_eadie

I just upgraded to the Nikon D200 body and am searching for a good lens. I am

a beginner. I take about 300 monthly pictures of my children and would like

to begin taking pictures for others too. Please, please, please advise on

what lens would allow me to take candid photojournalistic/action shots - I can

only afford one lens right now - until I pay off my D200. Any advice would be

GREATLY appreciated. What is the best lens for me?

I got D200 with 18-200mm VR. If you're starting out just like me - actually, restarting after a very long heitus, and if you can afford just one lense. If you're a beginner..don't settle for a cheap lense, instead get a moderate one because you will improve your skills over the months. So, I recommend the lense I've mentioned above to go with your D200.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-200mm-3-5-5-6-ED-IF-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000BY52NU

Oh, and get a hood with extra battery pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-MB-D80-Multi-Power-Battery-Digital/dp/B000HJ5N2Y/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b/102-3426379-9027346

The Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5D lens runs about $249.00 at BHphoto. It is a very nice lens for the price and has 1:2macro for those close up shots, flower shots etc. This would be a nice length for your kids and for general photography. Or just buy it with one of the kit lenses in a package type deal. If you have considered the D80 you can get the 28-105 lens with it, a memory card and a SB600 flash cheaper than just the D200 body. However I did just what you are doing and purchased the D200 body with a similar plan. It has surpassed my expectations easily.

Everyone raves on about the 50mm f1.8 so I finally decided to see what the fuss was all about. I got the AF and MF versions. The lenses are good - in fact better than good - but I have to say that the focal length is difficult on digital. Even the much praised bokeh is no gimmme. You really need to know how to work your dof.

I started out with the 18-70mm DX two years ago and I am taking better and better photos with it. I have a D70 but IMO the lens is better than what I am able to do with it so I think that on a D200 you will be able to get far more out of it.

If you don't get a bad sample, you just can't go wrong with this lens if you understand that it is NOT a fast lens which some people keep comparing it against.

There is no one 'best' lens but there are many good choices. Here are a few...

Low budget choices:

wide angle: Nikon 18-55 (about $125)

or

stronger zoom: Nikon 55-200 (about $125)

Medium budget:

Nikon 18-135 (about $300) you won't need anything else unless.

Suggestion:

Nikon sb-400 flash (about $125)

A pair of fast fixed focal length lenses; one with a slightly wide field of view, and one with a sightly tight field of view. On your camera, a 20mm and a 50mm would be good. If you were shooting film, I would say a 35 and an 85. The wide one need not have autofocus if it will save you a significant ammount of money. AF will help on the tele, though.

I suggest these two because they provide a great deal of versatility combined with an excellent educational experience.

Keith

The D200 has an APS-C sized sensor, which reduces the field of view and has the effect of multiplying the focal length of a lens by 1.5x. For general purpose use, you need something that goes down to about 18mm (24mm equivalent) and up to 50mm (75mm equivalent). There are a number of kit* lenses that cover this range, yet are inexpensive (<$300).

A Nikkor 28-105/3.5-4.5 is an excellent consumer lens, but is far to long for a DSLR (42mm to 157mm equivalent). A 50mm prime is not only too long, but limits you to a single focal length (not every problem is a nail). If you want a lens to aspire to own, the 17-55/2.8 AFS is that lens. Pinups are available (http://www.nikonusa.com).

alot of people on here are reccomending things like a set of primes, or the 28-70/2.8. i have no idea why. you said you were a begginer, if you like photojournalistic and taking pictures of people and need one lens to do the job, then there really only is one lens.

the 18-200VR sounds perfect for what you do. wide angle to tele range, and VR.

of course, if you cant afford it, then the 18-70 will do just fine. actually, if i were in your situation, i would be inclined to sell the D200, pick up a used/refurb D50 and buy some sick glass.

The 18-200 is expensive and slow (f/3.5-f/5.6). You pay a price for the 11:1 zoom range - that price is distortion, speed and build quality. Have you noticed that Swiss Army Knives don't actually cut well (or hold an edge).

Coming from film, I have a 17-35/2.8, 28-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 VR. I would say that I use the 17-35 for 75% of my shooting and the 70-200 for the balance. The 28-70 is a terrific lens for film, extremely sharp and fast. However, the focal range is best suited to formal groups and landscapes with a DSLR. A 17-55 would work for about 85% of what I do, meaning fewer lens changes. The 17-35 does not cause $1500 worth of aggravation for now, however.

Wow - what FAST and terrfic responses. You guys have a great community here. The d200 is an upgrade from my Cannon Digital Rebel, I am a begineer as compared to probably most of you, but I really enjoy this wonderful hobby and would love to excel in it. I currently have a 28-200mm and do not like it very much. I would like a lens costing no more then $300 that will be my primary one for a year or so. Maybe I can afford another one, when the talent develops some more. You have given me a lot of very valuable feedback - now comes time to make my decision and buy something before the D200 arrives in the mail. I shoot kids, I will only have 1 lens, I can afford something $300 or less, I really want to take my skills to the next level. I think I have an eye for photography - but with 3 kids under the age of 5, I dont have the time to really study it now. Oh, maybe there is a great book, DVD, or program that "Teaches" you how to take better pictures. Does anyone know of anything worth the money?

For a beginner, the Nikon 18-70 is a good choice. Get a new one so you can take it back if it doesn't seem sharp. Zooms can vary in quality, even good ones. The recommendation for the Nikon 28-105 macro isn't bad either. I just picked up one for my niece who is in school and using my D70.

By the way, here is what I have shot with my Cannon: www.flickr.com/photos/zaspa/ What kind of lens will be good for the kind of pictures I have taken so far. This is the style of my work. Thanks everyone. I have been blown awaw by your helpful responses - so many of you have given such perfect explanations "The swiss army knife doesn't always cut." Thanks!!!

Since you have the D200 you can use any of the manual focus AI/AIS lenses that seem to be everywhere at super inexpensive prices. I picked up a 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 28/3.5, 85/2 and an 80-200/4.5 for a total of less than $350. All work on the D200, all are in good shape and give great results.

Rick H.

Pauline, I looked at your Flickr photos. I definitely think the 18-70 would be a good lens for your style, and its in your price range. The other one I recommended as an alternative is the Nikon 28-105 macro, which is less than $300. Older manual lenses are great, but difficult to use for photographing fast moving children, in my experience. I have a lot of the classic manual lense, but when I had to photograph a neighbor's two year old recently, I grabbed an auto focus lens for the job (see my folders).