Alien Bees radio flash trigger with Sekonic L-358?

g_s19

I was looking into buying the Alien Bees Radio Flash Trigger system, but I read

on another website that these do not work with Sekonic flash meters. Is this

true? Will the AB Radio Flash Trigger Receiver/Transmitter NOT work with a

Sekonic L-358? Thanks.

I did send them an email also (just wanted to see if any photo.net members could also provide any feedback). Here's the response from AB's customer service:

<P>

Hi,

<P>

Thanks for the interest in AlienBees. You can use of Radio Flash Trigger System with your meter. You just cannot use if you have the special chip to directly set off the receivers. You will have to press the button on the top of the transmitter to have the light to fire, when you go to do your meter readings. The transmitter will work great with your Rebel XT. I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just let us know! Thanks and have a great day!

<P>

...not quite sure what this "special chip" is they're talking about...

The "special chip" works with only one type of radio receiver on the market - the Pocket Wizard. All other radio transmitters will work with any flash meter--you just have to push the "test" button on the transmitter. With the Sekonic meter and Pocket Wizard set up, the chip allows you to push the meter button to fire the Pocket Wizard receiver and so your Pocket Wizard transmitter can stay in the camera hotshoe while metering.

Sekonic makes a plug-in chip for the L-358 as an accessory that turns the flash meter into

a Pocket Wizard transmitter by using the same radio frequencies the Pocket Wizard uses.

(Push the measure button and the meter fires the flash and simultaneously measures the

light.) ABs use different frequencies than Pocket Wizards.

You can use the Sekonic meter with any flash in Cordless mode by pressing the meter

measure button and then manually firing the flash. This is the technique AB was

describing. The simpliest way to do it is to have your portrait subject hold the meter and

push the button and then you fire the flash manually.

• 2 years later...

<p>I have the Sekonic light meter. You plug in the transmitter from Alien Bees into the meter. The transmitter is the same one that you set on top of your flash hot shoe on top of your camera. You put the meter on flash, you push the button, and then you get a reading. Velcro works great to hold the transmitter to the meter.</p>