Some v cheap zoom best of bad bunch help

roy_rogers

Im looking to buy one of these lenses for under ?50 ($100) as I wont be using it

much, anyway its for a d40 and I need to manually focus with these. I know none

of them are great but which is the best of the bad bunch. I want to be able to

use the manual focus well, so I want the best manual focus at long length.

Nikon AF 70-300mm F4-5.6G

Nikon AF 80-200mm F4-5.6D

Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6D UC-II, Nikon Fit

Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC, Nikon Fit

I am thinking after looking on the internet that the sigma 70-210 is the best of

the bunch.

I am only looking to get these or similar priced, I can buy these ones currently

from a shop. I guess there are tamrons on ebay etc. but I guess there all as bad

as each other but I wanted the best one out the those I mentioned rather than

anything else.

Thanks

the nikon 55-200 is not ?60 here in the uk its more like ?132. Im looking to pay a whopping ?50 for the above.

So 1 vote for the nikon, well interesting, dont know if its metal though probably not.

I wonder if thatll be the only vote! :)

I think that Nikon AF 80-200mm F4-5.6D is a plastic lens with a plastic mount. Nonetheless I think I recall someone famous (Galen Rowell?) using one when climbing because of its light weight. Supposed to be quite good when stopped down. If I've got the right lens, it's not too good for manual focusing because it has a very thin and not very smooth focusing ring.

I bought a Nikon 70-300 G lens on as a stop gap; as I had to buy a complete set of lenses when I changed from Pentax Z1 to Fuji S2. A friend who had taken some great wildlife shots with one, recommended it. Its cheap; plastic, slow focusing; but the images exceeded my best expectations.

Maybe I have an exceptionally good, one as image quality is so far beyond its price, that I had to spend a huge amount more to get any significant improvement. I was still using it until early 2007; when the lens became loose and rattly and worn out after 4 years of use in harsh tropical conditions

I own a Nikon 18-200 VR which is nowhere near as good at the long end (but focuses faster). I tried a Nikon 80-400 VR (which if you ignore the extra range and VR) was no faster in focusing and no better in image quality. I ended up buying a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR + 1.4 teleconverter to gain any improvement; as I really struggled to get good enough results with the 18-200 VR.

I second Michael R. Freeman's suggestion of the AF Nikkor 70~210mm f/4-5.6 (first non-D version). I used t have one & unfortunately didn't think & sold it. I really regret that. Mine was super sharp & a great lens to have. It did better on my D200 than the fast replaced 80-200 f/2.8 (which was back focusing).

Try for the AF Nikkor 70~210mm f/4-5.6 (first non-D version). It's not a screw zoom - it's a "push" zoom. Many people don't like screw zooms.

Like I wrote. I miss mine & have informed the lady who bought mine that I'd be glad to buy it back from her as she's getting the 18-200VR.

JMHO

Lil

I'd stay away from the Nikon AF 70-300mm F4-5.6G. I don't think it's a bad optically, in fact I've heard it's pretty good for the money. However the focus ring looks awfully thin, which may be a problem on a D40.

thanks for all the advice, manual focus is a big issue so Id prefer to have one with a bigger focus ring so I guess the 70-300 is out, although as long as its not loose I guess it would work. I shall try a and get the AF Nikkor 70~210mm f/4-5.6 (first non-D version) on ebay I think or second hand shop in uk.

Thanks very much great information