Using rechargeable NIMH in MB-D200 or SB-600

bill_keane2

Hi,

I haven't had much success using AA batteries of any type, in my mb-d200.

Most of the time, no matter the type or brand, I only get about 16 shots, and they're done.

I've used energizer nimh 2500mAh batteries in the flash unit, and they seem to need to be recharged quite frequently, as compared to the energizer lithium batteries.

I would say, out of the major battery brands, get something with the most mAh (milliamp-hours). I use NiMH batteries in my SB-600 with much success; though, I don't think I fire the flash at full power all the time. NiMH batteries do have memory, and I think most chargers begin with a discharge cycle, so charge times are typically long (~8 hours). Charge them fully as the difference between 90% and 100% can be a significant amount of battery life.

Milliamp-hours, for the curious, are a measure of total charge provided by the battery over time. Charge is measured in coulombs. 1 coulomb (or 1 C) is the same as 1 ampere-second (or 1 As), and so 1 milliamp-hour is the same as 3.6 coulombs. The reason for the unusual unit is because if you know the average current draw of the device you're powering, you can estimate the average battery life in hours.

Two other important things to consider for a battery source are the maximum current it is able to provide, and the voltage level it is able to maintain across its life cycle and for varying amounts of current drawn. You're unlikely to find this data on the back of any battery packaging, though, so it's best not to worry about it.

I've been using 8 MONSTER POWER rechargables for about 4 years now in many cameras, sb-600 and other equipment and don't really see any downgrade.. but I'm not sure they still make them. couldn't find any on ebay lately.

my friend got a set of GP's for his sb-800 a month ago and one died already

I have been using the same energier 2500mah j falth and have had good success. I also have some off brand ones that are also 2500mah that do not work as well in my sb-600. The recycle time for the off brands is twice as long as the energizer when both are fresh off of the charger. I do suggest a charger that you can plug into a cigarette lighter and at least one extra set of the batteries.

I highly recommend the Impact 2900 mAh NiMH's from B&H. What I really like about them is the cool charger. It's so small and compact that you can take it anywhere. It has a fold away plug too! I used to use regular AA's but after I switched to NiMH's, the recycle times were faster.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488896-REG/Impact_NM2H_2_Hour_Rapid_Charger_with.html