Distortion of EF 35/2 on a 5D?

d_g

having the tse 24 and 45, i need a 35... i hate distorsion (i shoot LF...) , i've read that the 35/2 is a good

value for money lens (i shoot always around F11...), so what about distorsion with that lens ?

shall i consider a 28/2,8 leica or zeisscontax instead ?

thanks

I also come from a large format background and hate distortion. I've not noticed any with this lens. I use it for close focus, mid-ground focus, and infinity focus. The biggest problem with the lens is that the corners are soft until about f8/f11. The softness is due to curvature of focus, i.e., it's not at all a flat field design. So for instance, I recently shot an "environmental portrait" at f2 or f2.5; the person in the middle of the frame was in focus; most of the rest of the frame was out of focus; but the lower corners, which were in the foreground and very close to the lens were in sharp focus. That said, other than the example given, it's not a problem with this lens in 99% of situations, unless you want everything sharp corner to corner at f4 or f5.6. (I use the lens almost exclusively at f2.5 - f3.5, or at f9-f16.) Great lens: inexpensive, tiny, light.

Castleman found "no significant linear distortion (e.g., barrel or pin cushion)" when using either Canon 35mm lens on full frame:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/35mm/index.htm

I've been very happy with my 35/2; it's so unsexy that many photographers overlook it, but it's so compact and light and sharp (when stopped down a little bit) and cheap that it's one of the best bargains in the Canon lineup.

Ah dunno if any lens qualifies as "sexy" (I'll save that area for women) but the early 90s EF 35 2.0 I have is virtually distortion-free at normal distances. I don't use it for macro so I can't voice an option there. I also found it sharper than the two EF 50 1.8 lenses I owned. For $225 new it's hard to beat.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Not all lens aberrations are 'distortion'. Lack of a flat field is not technically 'distortion'

either. And finally, the effect of perspective from using a lens of this focal length is not

'distortion' either.

The 35 f/2, despite not having floating elements and a curved field, does not have any

appreciable distortion.

Yep, ring-USM would be nice, but the the old AF motor is still pretty peppy and pianissimo

(inaudible on city streets). You could disable AF, stopdown and use the DOF scale for

hyperfocal. Great for fast snaps in bright light.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

You could also look for an alternative mount 35mm lens (tilt/shift or not).

Not sure how many of these will fit an EF mount with an adaptor: Olympus Sinaron 35mm Shift, Zeiss Distagon ZF 35mm f/2, etc. There are also some good to great 28mm alternatives 'out there' too (Nikkor 28/4 PC). As you're shooting at f/11 - you can consider a few zooms - ie: Canon's 24-105/USM gets high praise at 35mm.

--