Rollei 35 S Frame Counter won't advance

Hi guys!

I've got a small problem with my Rollei 35S (Singapore), perhaps you can help

me with it. Everything else seems to be in perfect working order but the frame

counter won't move. I just can't get it to frame number one on the counter. I

have examined the mechanism and looks alright (nothing broken) but it

doesn't "catch". Has anyone here had the same problem? Is it easily solved or

does it require professional repair?. Thanks a lot.

It should related to the bottom of the camera. The frame counting mechanism contains 2 parts. One is the frame indicator, it has spring inside and it should return to 0 marks when the back has removed.

Second it a tiny needle on the bottom in the camera body, at the same position of the frame counter, under the taking lens . It moves and drive the frame counter when you wind the film or turns the winder.

If it is the tiny needle's fault, it would be better to ask someone professional to fix it.

• 13 years later...

Hi

I have a Rollei 35 where the frame counter sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I've checked the above mentioned post and the needle that pushes the frame indicator dial looks fine, moves as expected when winding. The indicator dial looks fine as well. It's almost as if they are not connecting in some way. Any ideas ?

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2020 at 10:54 PM, jimnorwood said:

Hi

I have a Rollei 35 where the frame counter sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I've checked the above mentioned post and the needle that pushes the frame indicator dial looks fine, moves as expected when winding. The indicator dial looks fine as well. It's almost as if they are not connecting in some way. Any ideas ?

Hi, I have a similar problem. Unfortunately the link from 2007 mentioned above doesn't work anymore. My counter dial moves when I cock the lever but jumps back when I fire the camera. Did you ever solve this issue?

Edited by whoma

I didn’t fix it myself but it was fixed by a technician. However it’s quite a coincidence you address this as I inherited a used Rollei that has this frame counter problem. 

I would like to ask anyone who has attempted this fix how the spring is actually shaped. Is there one hooked end and one looped ? 

I found this thread which might help

Edited by jimnorwood

On 11/17/2022 at 10:23 PM, whoma said:

Hi, I have a similar problem. Unfortunately the link from 2007 mentioned above doesn't work anymore. My counter dial moves when I cock the lever but jumps back when I fire the camera. Did you ever solve this issue?

As a follow up I did fix this problem with my new Rollei. My problem was that the spring was no longer attached to the silver top plate. I had a spare camera. I saw the spring is actually connected to the top plate (soldered). Anyway once fitted it needs to be tensioned as described in the thread above and then worked fine. 

But !! The frame counter sticks at 18 and jumps back each time I take a shot. If I squeeze the back gently it continues. As user Godfrey pointed out in a separate thread on the rangefinder forum there can be multiple reasons for this problem.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/node/4754118#post4754167

Several possible points at which this can fail include:

• Changing the back ... A back from another camera may not have the counter wheel and finger shimmed to the correct tolerance for the body.
  • Deformation of either the back or the body ... The Rollei 35's biggest fault was that the outer shell is very light metal and can be deformed and/or dented with remarkably little force. Having a back which is slightly deformed can put the exposure counter wheel out of reach of the finger.
  • Finger not operating correctly with the film wind/shutter cock mechanism ... Most likely due to dirt or sticky grease causing it to not retract properly.
  • A bent actuating finger ... If the body is set down on a hard surface with the back off such that the finger is in the shutter released state, the finger can be slightly bent to one side or the other and thereby miss the gear wheel, again out of tolerance for the reach.
  • Indicator gear wheel with stripped teeth ... If the gear's teeth are stripped or deformed, the finger cannot engage properly.
  • Dirt or sticky grease in the indicator wheel ... This can cause the wheel to be too difficult to move. That little finger does not exert a heck of a lot of force.

In this case I believe the camera had a fall (dent visible) and the back is not 100% flush.

Edited by jimnorwood