Like countless other Canon users, I have, for many years, been craving the

chance to get my hands on the one of the best telephoto lenses made: the EF

600mm f/4L IS USM.

Well, I may have the most fortunate chance to acquire one soon--this summer,

actually.

However, I wondered how long it has been since Canon originally released this

lens. I found out from Canon that it was first released in 1999. It's been out

on the market for at least 8 years.

Question (probably rhetorical): Does this mean that there is a chance that Canon

is going to update this lens anytime soon? About how often does Canon release

new lenses of this magnitude?

I know that if I had the opportunity to acquire this lens this summer I'm not

going to be disappointed in the results. Nevertheless, if Canon is about due

for an update on this end of their super-telephoto lenses, I'd like to know so I

could put off the acquisition until I had the opportunity to choose between this

current lens and its successor.

Granted, all of this speculation may lead nowhere; we all know that no one

really has any "inside information" as to what Canon (or any other camera

manufacturer) is going to do with their current and future product lines. Yet

if someone out there knows the general tendencies of the companies--as it

surrounds such questions--I would welcome any and all input.

Thanks!

Kevin

Keith,

I live in Alaska and have the opportunity to photograph some of the earth's most amazing wildlife. (See my wildlife section.) I've been using some very cheap and not-so-cheap lenses over the years (300mm) but I'd love to move to something much stronger and sharper.

Kevin

Don't underestimate the size and weight of this lens and the size and weight (and cost) of a tripod and head capable of supporting it.

A 600/4 is a great lens (I used to own one) until you've carried it for a couple of miles!

If you are shooting close to the car, then it's wonderful.

I would not concern myself about possible upgrades. I really don't see what they could do to it other than possibly minor cosmetic changes. I suppose they could put an different IS system in it, but the one they have works just fine. I'd say optical upgrades are very unlikely and probably unnecessary

<p>Another possibility that gives some additional flexibility is to get a <a href="http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID062012&sku=CA30028ISU">300mm f/2.8</a> along with the 1.4 and 2X teleconverters. You loose a stop at 600mm (f5.6 vs. f/4), and the image-quality must be slightly less (although all the shots I've seen with the 300+2x look great), but you gain a totally awesome 300mm lens, and the intermediate 420mm f/4. I've carried the 300mm f/2.8 around for an entire day, and it's not too bad...</p>

<p>If you want to go really long, you could get the <a href="http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID062012&sku=CA40028ISU">400mm f/2.8</a>...</p>

<i>That's one helluvan expensive and heavy piece to actually own.</i>

<p>

I think it weighs the same rented.

<p>

Anyway, a 500 f/4 is a lot more flexible unless you're shooting birds and smaller animals primarily.

I doubt if any upgrade is planned for the near future. As others have mentioned, don't

forget to budget for the cost, weight, and bulk of a substantial tripod and gimbal head

(Wimberley or the like) to get the most of of any big telephoto lens.

I agree with Mark Ci: the 500/4 is substantially smaller and more manageable (not to

suggest that the 500 isn't a hefty handful), and some reports indicate it is slightly sharper

than the 600. I would definitely try to rent a 600 and see if you want to carry it before

buying.

With either lens, be sure to get some extension tubes and/or extenders if you want to

shoot small birds or small mammals -- neither focuses close enough by itself for frame-

filling shots.

<I>Any idea how much and how heavy is Sigma APO 200-500mm F2.8 EX DG? Any lens

review, please? Also, where to buy it? Thank you all.</i><P>

AFAIK: not available yet anywhere and reports suggest a weight of something like 30-35

pounds.

Presumably not a lens intended for backpacking or hand-held shots of flying birds.

Hi,

It's pure speculation, but I can't think of much Canon could do to upgrade their super-teles: 300/2.8 and 400/2.8, 500/4 and 600/4. I guess it's possible they will put new and improved IS into these lenses, there have been some newer versions in more recent lenses. Or perhaps they've done a "silent upgrade" already. It's also possible that sort of upgrade could be retrofitted to older lenses, as it is with the 70-200/2.8 IS, which would mean older versions wouldn't necessarily be any different.

Does it really matter? If the lens does what you need it to do, it will continue to be just as useful long after some new whiz bang model replaces it in Canon's catalog and on store shelves. Hey, it's not like the older versions of cameras and lenses completely stop working when a new model is introduced ;-)

A lot of obsolescence is in our minds, not the equipment. Overall, I suspect we'll be seeing a slowdown in even the rapid pace of D-SLR upgrades. As it matures, the technology is bound to reach a plateau where any new developments will be in smaller and smaller increments that give fewer and fewer reasons or imperitives to upgrade.

If you haven't used one of these lenses before, I'd strongly suggest you rent one and give it a good, thorough test drive before finally buying. Like some others have noted, it's big and it's heavy. Personally, it was more than I wanted to lug around so I opted for the 500/4 (along with 300/2.8, 1.4X II and 2X II).

With these lenses, be sure to also consider the accessories you will be using with them. By choosing the 300 and 500 a slightly smaller/lighter/less expensive Gitzo CF tripod and smaller/lighter/less expensive/more flexible Wimbeley Sidekick gimbal head work well for me. Just in case you are unfamiliar with it, the Sidekick fits into a ballhead (Kirk BH-1 in my setup), instead of replacing it entirely.

Stepping up to either the 400/2.8 or 600/4 would have necessitated both a heavier tripod and one of several full size gimbal heads that completely replace the ballhead, which in turn means the tripod is more fully dedicated to use with just the long tele and less available for use with lesser lenses. You'd probably need to carry a ballhead separately, plus tools, and do a head swap to use the same tripod with other mounting schemes. Or buy and tote around a second tripod rig for more "general use".

This is not to say the 600/4 isn't a great lens. It is. You are right that you are very unlikely to be disappointed by the images made with it. And if it's what you need to get the shots you want, go for it by all means. The above points may or may not be important considerations for you, but they were for me. Just do your homework carefully before committing that big chunk of money.

Cheers!

If you can afford the lens and what is required to support it, don't wotty about the replacement if it happens, I tend to think that the 500 f4 would be a lot more usefull and may be in my future, so when getting a tripod and head recently I made sure they would work with the 500, we will see after i rent one this summer.

<p><i>I would definitely try to rent a 600 and see if you want to carry it before buying.</i></p><p>For that matter, go to your local grocery store and carry around four bags of sugar. That should be about 20 lbs. While the lens is only 11.8 lbs, you'll likely be carrying at least 8 lbs of tripod and head, if not more.</p><p>If a new lens does come out, I'm sure you could turn around and sell this one. True, the price might depreciate a bit, but probably no more than what it would cost to rent one.</p>

<p>As always when someone asks "Is Canon likely to replace product XYZ in the near future?" any answers you get are purely guesses. Anyone who has factual knowledge of the truth is bound by a nondisclosure agreement and can't tell you. The rest of us can only make guesses.</p>

<p>Canon started introducing their non-IS superteles in 1987 with the 300/2.8; the 600/4 followed the next year. It took over a decade before they released updates, and the main purposes of the ugprades were IS and weight reduction; really, I don't believe there were a lot of complaints about the optics, mechanics, or build quality of the non-IS ones. Just as there aren't a lot of complaints about these issues on the IS superteles. So it ain't broke, and therefore Canon isn't likely to fix it.</p>

<p>As for upgrading IS, Canon has never released a new version of the same lens to add a newer version of IS with improved features (such as the additional stops or quicker activation of newer IS versions). Never. There was a slipstream update to the IS module in the 70-200/2.8, but that didn't introduce any new features; it simply introduced a replacement part since the IS module in early copies of that lens was prone to failure.</p>

<p>So if this is the right lens for you and you're in a position to buy it, buy it. Chances are pretty slim that a new-and-improved version will come out any time soon. Even if it does, in the meantime, you've had a fantastic lens, which will continue to be a fantastic lens even if a new-and-improved version comes out.</p>

Keith Lubow, Jun 15, 2007; 06:01 a.m.

That's one helluvan expensive and heavy piece to actually own. Are you sure you wouldn't be better of renting one as needed? Great lens I'm sure, but not a great value unless you are a wire service.

Keith

It's damn great value if you shooting sports event as you get paid. It's a not great value if you are using once a year and for fun. My 2 cents.