Sell my F80???

schmuy

I've had an offer made on my F80 which is unfortunately just collecting dust.

The offer is $75+lunch. I don't know what to do. Its mighty hard to sell film

cameras now so it kinda looks like a good deal. But I bought this 3-4 years

ago for like $800 and in that sense $75 doesn't seem like a lot at all. I'm

tempted to keep it so that I can play around with film every now and then but

in the last year that's been 1 time, 0 since I bought my d200. What to do?

<P>What kind of lunch are we talking about here?</P>

<P>Seriously though, $75 isn't a bad price. It's questionable as to how much more you could get on Ebay or KEH.com. You can still find NIB F80 cameras for $150, which puts downward pressure on the price of used ones.</P>

Cameta Camera is currently selling N80/F80 factory refurbs (essentially new) with a 1 year warranty for $200USD. Used bodies are selling for $100-$125 on eBay. A NIB sample (no warranty) sold for $190 this week. So $75 and a NICE lunch, provided it's with someone whose company you enjoy, isn't that bad of a deal given the current market for used film bodies.

It doesn't help that when you bought this the $CAD was only about $USD 0.70. Now that the loonie is trading at nearly $USD 0.95, if you sell it on eBay in hopes of getting a better price, you'll get hit with the double whammy of depressed film camera prices and the unfavorable (for selling) currency exchange. I feel your pain! :-)

If you think you'll never use it again, you probably might as well part with it.

You might consider keeping it and luxuriating as I do in trailing edge Nikon film gear--not that the F80 was that great a camera.Still, if it works and can still deliver the goods, film-wise, keep it and shoot it till it breaks. The 75 bucks+a greasy lunch is an affront.Shoot b&w, slides, or whatever you've never shot before.Look, I just shot on the street in Toronto with a roll of Provia 120 in my ancient Bronica S today and will have the slides developed Monday and the best scanned for large prints.It's just another means to the same end, Bryan.

Unless you are really pressed for cash, I wouldn't sell the camera for that, but as stated by others, the overall flavor of the arrangement depends on your relationship with the buyer. Like Thomas said, if there is anyone in your family that might enjoy the opportunity to explore photography with a decent little camera, then just giving it to them might be an even more gratifying experience, BUT, sometimes people don't appreciate the value of things they didn't have to pay anything for. If your buyer is excited in an aspiring poor photographer kind of way, and their success means something to you then enjoy the lunch.

Even if you don't think you are going to use it now, you may change you mind at some

point. There is nothing like shooting a roll of Velvia with a really good subject.

I like the N80 - nice bright viewfinder, lightweight, quiet shutter, etc. Slap a 50 1.4 on it

and you've got a perfect street shooting camera.

And film doesn't have to be expensive to process. I used to pay for only development of

color negative film for $2.00 USD and then scan the images.

As said above, unless you are hurting for cash, keep the SLR.

I have a D200 and D70, and have been thinking of getting a used F100 for awhile.

If she's a young, aspiring photographer, take the deal. Otherwise, keep it for high risk

activities you want a camera for (but where/when you don't really want to risk a camera):

skiing, extreme sports, boating, fishing, surfing photography, whatever.

With the 1.5 crop factor of the digital bodies, one often lacks real wide-angle lenses. You can keep F80 and put 20/2.8 or 24/2.8 lens on it. These lenses are relatively inexpensive second hand, fast, and sharp.

On digital body, you can not get that wide, at least not very easy. You will find only zooms, e.g. 10-20 or 12-24, they are quite expensive, heavy, and most of them are slower then the primes.

Shooting with wide angle lens can be really funny, especially for landscapes, cityscapes, interiors, etc. If you enjoy it, use your F80 to create a lightweight, fast, and accurate wide-angle shooting system.

On the other hand, if you are more into normal- and tele- lenses, just sell F80 to somebody, who will use it :-)